Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Wyoming

Options
  • 17-03-2000 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Anybody else read this yet?

Just finished it today. To be honest it's not his best, and nowhere near Girlfriend, and Vannessa and Ryan could have been so much better. Still though, it's those little ramblings that make Couplands books a treat to read.

What ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

never heard of it?

whos the author?
    whats it about?
    is it a novel on its own or part of a series?

to be honest it doesn't SOUND like my cup of tea, saying that of course the first lesson to be learned in reading books is to
    "never judge a book by its cover"(insert "title" here also)

Wyverne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

It's Douglas Couplands latest novel.

Your best bet is to visit www.coupland.com to find out more. Some of his other books are excellent. Look out for Girlfriend in a Coma and Microserfs, Generation X was his too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

will check it out, thanx

Ask before ye "TAKE IT"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Karla, I dont know who you are, but I like you a lot. i've been pushing doug's books for a long time here to no avail. he's the best, is he not?
    Wyoming isnt as good as the other stuff, but it is his first real book if you ask me. in the informal definition of an average off the shelf novel most books are plot driven. all couplands previous books were based entirely in character. this is centered around something. its a typical story. this is a good thing because a new generation x every three years would be boring.
    he also deals with his most difficult subject matter yet. the last great taboo is lonlieness. sex and violence, religion and the rest are all passe small talk, insulted and made common. fair enough, we're better off that way, but no one EVER talks about lonlieness. this is about lonlieness. about the dirty insidious nature of the beast. coupland always seems to me to "own" the subject he's writing about, whether that is ambition, or the past, or the future, or the web explosion, or cloning, but here he doesn't shine so brightly. his beautiful writing is still there. descriptions still soar higher than anyone esle's: "eyes that were the sky blue of a faded parking ticket" but it doesn't gel as perfectly as microserfs/gen x/girlfriend in a coma
    still, it is probably the book i'd give to friends who havent read him as it is easist to take in and digest.
    by the way, have you read shampoo planet karla? I re-read it a while back and i really appreciated it in a way i didnt when it was first published. its messages had kind of gained weight in the intervening years. maybe it'll be the same with wyoming.
    his research as usual is impeccable, he really gets the world of pageants and holloywood down well.

this post is written off my heads top, now i must run, so sorry if it comes out incoherently. just go buy some doug coupland books. he is the finest writer to emerge in the past 10 years.
    no kidding
    no contest
    no sarcasm

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yeah, I'm waiting to get my hands on a copy of this one.

Even if its not as good as Microserfs or Girlfriend I'm sure it'll be prety damn excellent.

Andy

• Advertisement
Advertisement