Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project: Surround Sound decoder on an FPGA

• 04-11-2004 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey all, I think you guys could help me with a project I'm undertaking. I'm looking to implement a full Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound decoder on an FPGA. I'm starting from absolute scratch and I only decided to give it a try earlier this week. I'm having problems finding out info on the specs and decoding algorithms for Dolby though (I have em for DTS 6.1). Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'd say I'm going to need a lot of advice during the course of this project, especially on the analogue side or the circuitry and the VHDL. I'm gonna hopefully use this thread alot if you guys are keen to assist.

I work in the design department of leading FPGA company so that end of things I should be able to get assistance with in-house, but my main concerns are with the VHDL, standards, algorithms and audio SNR.

I don't think this has ever been possible before the recent generation of FPGAs (due to logic constraints and DSP processing) so I doubt it's ever been done before.

Please post here if you're interested or have anything to offer.

Kev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 faonway

Hi Kev!
    your project seems very interesting!
    I'm an electronic engineer, I worked 5 years as deigital designer (Altera FPGA)
    If you need an help, I'd like assist you.
    My email is faonway@yahoo.it, let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 faonway

I forgot to say you I'm in Blackrock too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Unless something went wonky with the dates , thats a 3 year old thread with no replies you just answered ,

By now , the OP will have realised that Dolby is totally proprietary and you cannot just copy or implement the technology without a license , once you have the license they'll presumably give you all the info you need.

Any other way would be entirely illegal.

http://www.dolby.com/professional/licensing_trademark/basics.html

Advertisement