Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wait 3 hours in line to vote?

Options
  • 04-11-2004 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

One thing that struck me on Tuesday was that so many Americans waited many hours in line to vote. I thought that this was incredible. I don't think that I would have bothered to vote if ì had to wait that long. In fact I know I wouldn't. I'd get really upset if I had to wait at all.
    Would you wait hours to vote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

That's a good question actually.
    Probably not, if I'm honest but I would go away and come back a few times to
    see if they queue had shortened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

Generally speaking, probably not. But if it was for an election I felt as strongly about as the one on tuesday then then sure I would.

I wonder how many Americans are going to be kicking themselves for the next four years for the sake of a couple of hours waiting in line?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

PH01 wrote:
    One thing that struck me on Tuesday was that so many Americans waited many hours in line to vote. I thought that this was incredible. I don't think that I would have bothered to vote if ì had to wait that long. In fact I know I wouldn't. I'd get really upset if I had to wait at all.
    Would you wait hours to vote?

Yeah i was amazed too....but then i'd have waited that long to vote against Bush too :D

But here, not normally....unless there was a particularly close race or contentious issue in my constituency (Wicklow)....we had a close one a few years back between mildred fox and someone else...think she won by 9 votes after 20 recounts or something like that....so every vote counts in PR!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I probably would not wait the 3 hours. Waiting that long indicates to me there are not enough polling stations open for the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I would with an election such as this one.

I've never had to queue whilst voting in Ireland though. Is it that there are fewer voting points per voter in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

simu wrote:
    I would with an election such as this one.

I've never had to queue whilst voting in Ireland though. Is it that there are fewer voting points per voter in the US?
    Most of the polls are manned by volunteers. The voter turn out was the highest its been since the 60's and there simply weren't enough volunteers to man too many extra polling points. I live in Ohio, and in my area i only had to wait about 5 minutes, but one county over ( Knox)there was a woman who waited for 9 hours.I hear she was the last person to vote in Ohio at around 4am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

tovalee wrote:
    Most of the polls are manned by volunteers. The voter turn out was the highest its been since the 60's and there simply weren't enough volunteers to man too many extra polling points. I live in Ohio, and in my area i only had to wait about 5 minutes, but one county over ( Knox)there was a woman who waited for 9 hours.I hear she was the last person to vote in Ohio at around 4am.
    Hail America! - the greatest home of democracy! No offence tovalee but in fairness real democracy never existed on this planet. The ancient greeks - invented it - but this only applied to men who were already in power by virtue of wealth. Democracy is just a modern fiction.

Why am I unsuprised this 9 hour wait was in Ohio and not California? :eek:

[EDIT] I stand corrected if a single non-swing state had a wait of more than 1 hr - prove me wrong if more than 2 states - >2,500 people (per incident)! had such a wait[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement