Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Company - Car Valuation

Options
  • 04-11-2004 11:14am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads
    As a follow up to the thread about my wifes car been rear ended. The car is an Opel Corsa, 1998, 52k, 5 door, 1 litres. Was in Immaculate condition. So The insurance company came out there last week to assess the damage. The body repair shop gave me a price of about 3600 on the car as the valuation.
    The insurance company then came back this morning with their "Assessment".
    The reckon that the car is worth 3200!! the dying fukers! They also mentioned a salvage cost of 700, what do the mean salvage cost?? Obviously they have way under valued the cost so what do ye suggest???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Salvage Cost is what they reckon the written off car is worth if (when) you sell it - for example to a scrape yard. The usual deal is that you need to sell the written off car, go to the insurance company with details of what you got and they'll pay you the balance upto their valuation of value of the car.

Provided the figure you get is close to their estimate then it should all be fine, if you get offered way less than their estimate then you need to go back to them and talk to them about it.

As for the low estimate, not sure what you can do - by and large insurance companies seem to get away with this kind of thing :(

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Get an independant assessor and also push for the car not to be written off if you still want it.

I went to an independant assessor in regards being struck from the side several years ago, the garage quoted £6000 Punts to fix the damage the insurance assessor said less and hinted at writing off the car.

I went to the independant assessor who was fully qualified and legit and got more in the long run and my car repaired as I did not want the hassle of looking for another car.

With the insurance company be ruthless demanding and if necessary hound the on a constant basis either by phone calls.e-mails. faxes and even better personal visits let nothing rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Insurance companies will quote the blue book value of the car, makes no difference what you think it's worth.
    Read the small print on your policy!
    Take the write off, selling damaged / repaired cars is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Dan_B wrote:
    Insurance companies will quote the blue book value of the car, makes no difference what you think it's worth.

It depends, I got 2grand over what the book value of my car was following a crash. Hit by an un-insured driver, and had to claim of my comp policy while waiting for Mib to deal with the claim. I'd push back at the insurance company, depending on what company you're with, get them involved. Remember the guy dealing with the claim is on a bonus for getting to settle for the least amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Dan_B wrote:

Also, it's against some one else's policy that's he's claiming for, so the small print won't apply. He and his wife are the injuried parties and it's on that basis the claim is occuring. The insurance co in this case are basically settling out of court on the claim.

Mention getting ur solicitor involved, and you'll see things speed up

• Advertisement
Advertisement