Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V for Vendetta

Options
  • 01-04-2000 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

By graphic novels you mean picture books right?
    And how would you give a grown up political element to it? Bill Clinton with Monica?

smile.gif
    Ok sry Dev.
    I have never actually heard of Alan Moore before. Just what kind of political novel are we talking about here?
    John Grisham type stuff?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you havent read this, and you like your graphic novels with a grown-up political element, get this and you'll never regret it.
    Alan Moore is god.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

nggggggggh!

Graphic novels are novels told using text and graphics. Very similar to comics, most people mistake them as such. There are few real graphic novels truthfully. V for Vendetta is one and The Watchmen would be considered another.

They are adult in that they discuss mature topics such as fascism (in the case of V) or mans inclination to fight amongst himself lacking a common enemy (in the Watchmen). Hardly Spiderman or Superman territory.

V follows the fortunes of Great Britain after a limited nuclear war, when a fascist government has been elected. Minorities are purged, freedoms retricted etc. The character V begins a twisted vendetta against the state in a rather unusual manner.
    The story unfolds and is far from simplistic. A lot of serious political issues are addressed but like 1984 its also a damned good read.

I've copied a part from it below, V takes over the state TV station and sends this address to the people of the nation, to rebuke them for not being the masters of their own destiny and for electing the current government. Noone has an idea what the hell he's talking about of course, they just want to see their Neighbours or Family Fortunes.

If you ever wanted something a little more politcally minded in your graphic novels, I heartily recommend it. Otherwise, theres always Neighbours on telly.

Tom.
    Good evening, London. I thought it time we had a little talk. Are you sitting comfortably?
    Then I'll begin. . . .

I suppose you're wondering why I've called you here this evening. Well, you see, I'm not entirely satisfied with your performance lately . . . I'm afraid your work's been slipping and . . . and, well, I'm afraid we've been thinking about letting you go.
    Oh, I know, I know. You've been with the company a long time now. Almost . . . let me see. Almost ten thousand years! My word, doesn't time fly. It seems like only yesterday. . . .
    I remember the day you commenced you employment, swinging down from the tree, fresh-faced and nervous. A bone clasped in your bristling fist. "Where do I start, sir?" You asked plaintively. I remember my exact words: "There's a pile of dinosaur eggs over there, youngster," I said, smiling all the while. "get sucking."
    Well, we've certainly come a long way since then, haven't we? And yes, yes, you're right. In all that time you haven't missed a day. Well done, thou good and faithful servant. Also, please don't think I've forgotten about your outstanding service record, or about all the invaluable contributions that you1ve made to the company. Fire, the wheel, agriculture . . . it's an impressive list, old-timer. A jolly impressive list.
    But . . . well, to be frank, we've had our problems too. There's no getting away from it. Do you know what I think a lot of it stems from? I'll tell you . . . it's your basic unwillingness to get on with the company. You don't seem to want to face up to any real responsibility, or to be your own boss. Lord knows you've been offered plenty of opportunities. We've offered you promotion time and time again, and each time you've turned us down. "I couldn't handle the work, guv'nor," you wheedled. "I know my place."
    To be frank, you're not trying are you? You see, you've been standing still far too long, and it's starting to show in your work. And, I might add, in your general standard of behaviour. The constant bickering on the factory floor has not escaped my attention. Nor the recent bouts of rowdiness in the staff canteen.
    Then of course there's . . .Hmm. Well, I didn't really want to bring this up, but . . . well, I've been hearing some disturbing rumours about your personal life. No, never mind who, no names, no pack drills. I understand that you are unable to get along with your spouse. I hear that you argue. I am told that you shout. Violence has been mentioned. I am reliably informed that you always hurt the one you love, the one you shouldn't hurt at all.
    And what about the children? It's always the children who suffer as you're well aware. Poor little mites. What are they to make of it? What are they to make of your bullying, your despair, your cowardice and all your fondly nurtured bigotries?
    Really, it's not good enough, is it? And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either; though to be sure the management is very bad. In fact, let us not mince words . . . the management is terrible! We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is a plain fact.
    But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people. You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you. While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate.
    You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was "No."
    You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company.
    I will, however, be generous. You will be granted two years so show me some improvement in your work. If at the end of that time you are still unwilling to make a go of it . . . you're fired.
    That will be all. You may return to your labours. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Dev you need an "im obviously taking the pi$$ smiley" smile.gif

I do?

oh yes, I do!

Super Happy Smiley Face --> cool.gif

DeV.

Advertisement