Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless with NTL BB

• 04-11-2004 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ive got NTL broadband going nice and neat into a router behind the tv. Have a pc upstairs and a laptop that I can use (obviously) anywhere. Currently Im only using the BB on the laptop due to the 2 meter cable ntl supplied.

Im looking for a cheap and secure wireless conguration for the house. From reading up on it, I think I will need a card for the laptop, a card for the pc and a wireless router to come off the router NTL supplied.
    Is this right and can someone advise me on what and where I can go to get what I need?
    The cards shouldnt be a problem to get as Ive seen them for around the 35-40 mark on elara, but its the router thats confusing me as Im not sure what one what I need. Will all wireless routers work the NTL router?

TIA,
    clint.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

This is the wireless router I use with NTL BB. It is a doddle to set up and secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Tom wrote:
    This is the wireless router I use with NTL BB. It is a doddle to set up and secure.
    i just got one of those for my friend last week, and all went very well with the installation.

The only thing that had to be manually specified was i had to manually type in the routers IP as the "gateway address" in Windows Me. his laptop running XP auto configured via DHCP without any intervention.

I know a few people with this router, and i'll be getting it myself. Its a damn good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

I use the Linksys WRT54G with NTL, Elara have it for €79. Xbox Live compatable also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

40coats wrote:
    I use the Linksys WRT54G with NTL, Elara have it for €79. Xbox Live compatable also.

v. Groovy Box, especially once you load some of the 'other' operating systems on it like Satori . I thoroughly recommend it.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Tom wrote:

Good stuff. Ordered one for myself last week, but wasn't sure if I'd gotten a decent one or not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

So if I wanted to use this router with a PC in another room what would I need to get for the PC to pick up its signal? Not got a clue about wireless LANs so any help would be great.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SteM wrote:
    So if I wanted to use this router with a PC in another room what would I need to get for the PC to pick up its signal? Not got a clue about wireless LANs so any help would be great.

A wireless network card - this is an example

If you want to read up a bit do a Google search on 'set up wireles network' or something close. This article is an example of the sort of information that you wil find relatively easy on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

Just want to make sure: what does NTL supply, just the regular ntl modem with ethernet and usb compatible right.
    U link the modem they supply to the wireless router with a CAT5 cable and theres no problem running internet at the same time with a computer on wireless and a PC thats connected to the router with a CAT5 cable correct.
    Also for the ethernet configs the DNS ips for ntl are: 194.168.4.100

Does the speedbooster version of the linksys 802.11g make a big performance difference?

Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

bump

Subc wrote:
    Just want to make sure: what does NTL supply, just the regular ntl modem with ethernet and usb compatible right.
    U link the modem they supply to the wireless router with a CAT5 cable and theres no problem running internet at the same time with a computer on wireless and a PC thats connected to the router with a CAT5 cable correct.
    Also for the ethernet configs the DNS ips for ntl are: 194.168.4.100

Does the speedbooster version of the linksys 802.11g make a big performance difference?

Thanx

I dont know what NTL supply but based on the posts here it has an ethernet connection and thats the most important thing. Running a wired connection and a wireless connection should not present any problems.

All of the big manufacturers seemed to have announced products that are nominally !08Mbps (Netgear DLInk ) but in real life nothing like the claimed speeds are actually achieved according to the experts. To get the maximum from the speedbooster router you would also need a compatible linksys Speedbooster compatible PC card In any event if you want a wireless network just to share the internet then an 802.11b based network is more than adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

dub45 wrote:
    A wireless network card - this is an example

If you want to read up a bit do a Google search on 'set up wireles network' or something close. This article is an example of the sort of information that you wil find relatively easy on line.

Cheers for that Dub45.

SteM wrote:
    Cheers for that Dub45.

You are very welcome I hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I got an 11mbps D-Link router and D-Link laptop card, they only €100 in total including delivery. I've had them about 3 months without any problem.
    I ordered them from http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk , they seemed to be a lot cheaper than Elara or Komplett and it only took a day for them to be delivered.

Advertisement