Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magician

Options
  • 19-03-2000 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

Finally finished Magician. Hard to judge this one i think, i know its excellent, but i don't know if its one of the best. the best thing about the book is what the author acknowledged himself - it is just a big yarn, spanning two worlds and over 12 years. the author didn't know how to write well, so he just wrote everything he would like to find in a fantasy novel. One of the worst things about any fantasy book, i think, is when the author tries to make it an allegorical masterpiece. Look at a lot of fantasy books - i said this b4 about Covenant books, they are really dulled, in my opinion by the inner battles, complexities, and parallels drawn with real life. Some people pull it off perfectly, but most of the time, it is just annoying. Like in the elfstones of shannara - how he couldn't use them and stuff.
    There is none of that in Magician. There is Tomas' inner conflict, and Pug finding his Wal, and stuff, but that is very well done. Feist does not create barriers for himself either - if an idea is used in about 50 other books, he doesn't care. that is good too, i think.
    I think a lot of the books i read were copies of this - most notably Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy by tad williams. The one thing lacking in the book, i think, is some good characters. it might sound like a contradiction, given what i said earlier. Pug and most characters are perfect, no flaws. I think it is good to have a perfect main character, but the only real characters in the book with any personality were Roland, maybe Dolgan, and Amos.
    I could go on all day about how other books copied Magician, but i won't bother. Very good book, though. can i read faerie tale now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

well,
    i done know,like, whatEVER

hehe, yes u can read farie tale now, although r u sure u would not prefer to finish the trilogy u've just begun smile.gif

if not then definately read Farie Tale.
    as u said feist makes no attempt to "parallacise" (authoritive licence) his books with real life.

most of his books are what they are, fables or adventure stories (or "one big yarn")
    and thats actually quite a refreshing experince in my opinion. u can read his books without any complexities thrown in by the author to make the book more than it is or ever can be.

with regards to Thomas' inner struggle, i loved that.
    In fact my favourite part in the whole book was the scene where thoms is about to kill the enemies (even though it wasn't really thomas - it was ashen shugar), and then there was the final inner fight.
    thomas was the rock that the endless sea of ashen shugar could not break.

MAN I LOVED THAT PART, really made me sit back and think for a sec, the kind of scene in a book that just makes u shout at the top of your lungs.....

"YES,.. YES OH YES"

HEHE,

yes u can read Farie Tale NOW..... smile.gif

Ask before ye "TAKE IT"

[This message has been edited by Wyverne (edited 19-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Wyverne (edited 19-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i know, that was decent allright, but the best part, except for the beginning 100 pages (which were very nice and happy even though you knew what was going to happen) was when Pug... i mean Milamber... released his fury on the Tsurani at the games. And also when Macros the Black destroyed the Great Ones. That was another good thing about magician - the more powerful you make the good guys at the end, the better. Magician really mad Pug and Thomas all-powerful. That is something i haven't seen, i don't think... Remember in the Wishsong of Shanara, Garet Jax. He was supposed to be the greatest, but he was nothing compared to thomas, or Pug. Even Allanon was dwarfed by Pug's power, and thats good... Except in Elric of Melnibone series - i think Elric might have matched the power... but nobody read them... frown.gif
    Methinks i've decided that i preferred the Dragonbone Chair, tad williams series even though it was a complete copy. orphan raised in castle by cook/chambermistress. becomes apprentice to magician. king with 2 sons. Morgenes=Kulgan, Joshua=Arutha, Elias=Lyam. Father Tully= Father Strangyeard. Guy = Fengbald...
    Norns = Tsurnami+Darkbrotherhood
    Ashen shugar= Inleuki
    Norns "directing them" in Greenhart= DB "directing them" in Aldhart
    could go on all day

Its too copyish, but i still thought it was very good

bit unclear at the end... Dragonbone Chair is too copyish...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i thought magician was overly simplistic and lacking in any decent characters.
    there was no drive in it. didnt get the pulse up. ony part that i really enjoyed was in darkness at sethanon where the big battle in the fortress happens. now that was cool.
    doesnt hold a candle to the wheel of time series for detail and just sheer enjoyment.
    feist is just boring. you know whats going to happen, everything goes according to the heros plan and s=every one in the book is a bloody hero. its like in some battle some guy had 15 arrows in him and yet he still manages to kill a few baddies, preferably the biggest ones around, which in truth breaks the attack and he saves the day, and while doing all this ges all the hurt of his chest to some bird who happens to be in the middle of the battle as well and convince her that hes not the cad that everyone thought he was, it was just some act that was very noble and now everyone loves him and he dies and everyones all sad coz the person that everyone wanted to knoch 7 colours of ****e out of 10 pages earlier is dead.
    no seriously, its like that. talk about fairy worlds.....its fantasy, but its homogonised and pasturised and very boring.

that doesnt mean it has to be in depth to be exciting, but writting to a formula gets boring. read the rest of his books. once youve read one youve read em all.
    except the second last one in the serpent war saga coz every one dies smile.gif

thats kind of what i was trying to say politely, but not to the same degree. the characters are dull, and the plot is predictable, and he is not a great writer (in magician - thats the only one i read). I agree with you, it really does fit a formula. tis a bit of a paradox though smile.gif
    by taking all of the same old, used up, predictable aspects in all the other books, he sets no limits for himself. twould be way better if i had never read another fantasy book. and it was his first one.

Forgot to mention, the end of the book, previews of the sequels, it mentions "the dreaded Necromancer Macros the Black"
    I know he comes back from the dead, but is he evil or what?

• Advertisement

will do, since i have book 8. but i heard that wheel of time is very hard to get into. since quake3 destroyed my brain, i haven't been able to read books like that, but i'll try anyway. more distressing is that i heard the series isn't finished yet!!
    But i also heard that they were very good. two books were recommended to me by an expert - Magician and Wheel of time. i'll give it a blast so. i'll be back in about 2 weeks when i have the 1st one read with my judgement smile.gif

wwman, whats book one called, please
    cheer m8

no. ha turns out to be his best friend and pug marries his daughter and they all battle his ex wife in the serpent war saga.
    but i wouldnt bother
    get the wheel of time series instead. far more entertaining, far more enjoyable, the plot is...er...very twisted, bit too much detail smile.gif but over all it is about the best read about in the genre.

Part in stadium wuz kewl smile.gif

that was the best part allright - especially because the other blackrobes thought they could take him at first... it reminded me of when Aragorn revealed his identity to King Theoden - but then there was all the destruction and stuff....
    Wheel of times will have to wait - i just miraculously found Silverthorn in my bookshelf, and i never knew i had it smile.gif
    must be fate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Edge

sorry im a bit late in posting for this
    my favourite part was when pug blew the fúck out of everyone in the stadium
    the tomas part was good as well
    but nothing beats massacure

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Who wrote that "Wheel of Time" stuff, was that Robert something?

Is it sf or fantasy? What's the story? Never got round to reading it.

On "The Reality Disfunction" at the mo, excellent book, especially being 1st in a trilogy and weighing in at over 1200 pages smile.gif

*stoopid aussie accent* "That's not a book, this is a book!" smile.gif

Al.

Robert Jordan. its fantasy, meant to be very good. whats this reality disfuntion one? Sci-Fi? must be a huge trilogy, 3600pages?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

- Reality Dysfuntion by Peter Hamilton is SciFi, sort of space operaish, but still very good. Read the last part of the trilogy over the weekend "The Naked God" and it was only 1170 pages long. smile.gif. It has an interesting ending.
    Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cheers Manach,

I am finding it an excellent read (only 500 pages through yet).

Looking forward to the next book.

He also wrote "A Quantum Murder", I read this a couple of years ago, it was pretty good too. I'd like to see some more of this guys stuff.

Al.

i think some1 (trojan) saw cocidile dundee recently, hehe
    brilliant film

"thats not a film, THIS is a film" biggrin.gif

Great film, lol

thnax for the reminder

and yes illkillya hehe it was fate for you to find silverthorn on yer bookshelf, good on yer m8, drongo an all dat.

smile.gif

Crocodile dundee was on last night - i saw some of it... finished silverthorn btw, bought darkness at sethanon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭[IAR]Recon

alright this is my first time posting a topic in here

Illkillya u still have bout another 9 books to read

finish this trilogy, then the ones in between (including the new ones, then read the last 4 called the "Serpant War Saga" or something like that

i know - i heard the other day that the second series is meant to be excellent, but the third one is not. Then someone told me to read Gemell - never read anything by him. But i think Wheel of time comes first... but before that i have to read the Dead School because i have it already, and methinks too much fantasy in too little time will be too much.

the eye of the wheel is the forst in the wheel of time series.
    it takes a few hundred pages to work up a swet, but from their its bloody ecellent
    you will have no idea what is going on coz you only leanr what is going on as the characters know what is happening.
    its so well done.
    hell, i think i'll start reading the series again after ive finishd infinity by john barnes, which is also bloody good if a little wierd!

• Advertisement

yeah illkillya, david gemmel is actually quite good

look for david gemmel "legend"
    good book but theres so bloody many its hard to know where to start

"at the start /me heres some1 saying"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Feist is one of those authors who enjoys the whole 'I'm a little turd, but in a few years time I will RULE THE WORLD!' kinda thing.

Sometimes its interesting but other times its boring as hell..

The Wheel of Time is ****ing brilliant, I must have read the whole series about six or seven times by now..

The only bad thing is that twat Robert Jordan wont be releasing the next book for another two years or so... thats assuming he doesnt go the way of Herbert and die before he gets the chance to... wouldnt that be a kick in the nads?

Kegs.

ILLKILLYA WHEN U FINISH SILVERTHORN U NEED TO READ DARKNESS AT SETHANORN

I JUST READ IT. finished it last night. twas good - but people are still going insane because of the Wheel of Time, so i better read that

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pox

Im a little late with this one,
    but if you're into fantasy/magic then i truly
    recommend the wizard of earthsea quartet by
    Ursula LeGuin. Haunting and unique
    in a way other books just cant manage.
    i found its impression has stayed
    with me (you know, that feeling that
    you get the day you finish a good book)
    since I read it (13 years ago I think).

Advertisement