Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel dearer than petrol

Options
  • 04-11-2004 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Went to my local petrol station this morning. It was quite interesting to see the prices - Unleaded - 97.9, Diesel 98.9
    I filled up and drove off, and couldn't help smiling. All those Diesel drivers who for years have been so smug because they pay less for fuel... The tables have turned now, eh? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

you sure you didn't fill your car with diesel ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah some stations are offering lower rates for unleaded (cos that'll get the petrol drivers in) but compensating for it by increasing diesel.
    Bit of a kick really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh but they get better fuel consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

It is a turn-around alright, but you've forgotten to facor in that a diesel car will, in general, do more miles to the gallon than a petrol equivalent. So it still probably is better value..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Diesel is more expensive than petrol everywhere in Switzerland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

The price has changed this week....all oil including diesel went up and petrol was the only product to come down in price....this is the second of the price changes in the last while to do this hence diesel is now edging higher than petrol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Diesel is more expensive than petrol everywhere in Switzerland

and anywhere from 15-30cents dearer in australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Pre tax diesel prices in this country have always been dearer than unleaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

fjon wrote:
    Went to my local petrol station this morning. It was quite interesting to see the prices - Unleaded - 97.9, Diesel 98.9
    I filled up and drove off, and couldn't help smiling. All those Diesel drivers who for years have been so smug because they pay less for fuel... The tables have turned now, eh? ;)

No they havent, your station is just a rip off, I filled my diesel @ 93.9 cent last week

www.irishfuelprices.com boys and girls, why pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Nuttzz wrote:
    No they havent, your station is just a rip off, I filled my diesel @ 93.9 cent last week

www.irishfuelprices.com boys and girls, why pay more?

It may be a rip-off for Diesel, but not for petrol. According to this it is among the cheapest around where I live. Only if I drove 15 miles to Lucan would I get cheaper petrol; and only cheaper by 0.4c at that.
    It's the Deansgrange garage by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

fjon wrote:
    It may be a rip-off for Diesel, but not for petrol. According to this it is among the cheapest around where I live. Only if I drove 15 miles to Lucan would I get cheaper petrol; and only cheaper by 0.4c at that.

Tesco, Finglas: Petrol 95.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

fjon wrote:

Indeed, your question was had the table turned on diesel owners, my point was that it hasnt. Anyway diesel engine cars are generally more expensive than petrol cars so it balances itself out in the long run in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

John R wrote:
    Tesco, Finglas: Petrol 95.9.

I know, but driving out to Finglas would negate any saving I would make on petrol :confused: . I'm just waiting for a Tesco somewhere on the Southside to start selling petrol!

Advertisement