Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scorch

Options
  • 04-11-2004 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard of an ancient game called Scorched Earth?

Back when I was in secondary school, in our computer classes when all the teacher could teach us was how to turn on the computer and we had to correct her about how floppy disks were inserted, myself and a friend stumbled upon a game we found on one of the 486s, called Scorched Earth.

It was a simple game, with no more than 16 colours, and gameplay was similiar to the Worms concept. There were 2 tanks (one per player) scattered over an either plain pink or blue 2D landscape (not even side scrolling, just a static landscape), and the idea was to take out the opponent using a small variety of weapons you mounted on your tank.

Myself and said friend spent hours playing this game against each other after we had completed our "enter these figures into an MS Works database" each class, but the computers were taken away and replaced with PIIs at some stage, and we lost it. But I just did a search at google and found it. I recommend anyone to do a "I'm Feeling Lucky" search of Scorched Earth on google and you will find it.

It bloody rocks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1984
    scorched.jpg
    Scorched Earth is a simple, yet very exciting artillery combat game, based on a long line artillery games that began with Atari's classic arcade game Lunar Lander. At its most basic level, Scorched Earth is a 2-player tank action game which requires you to learn only a few basic keys to play. You adjust the power and angle of your gun, then launch your weapon to blow up other tanks. That's basically it-- nothing Lunar Lander veterans haven't seen before.

Click above link was a good game indeed.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The orignal Worms is much funnier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm a scorched earth fan too. All those angles, forces and ballastics are probably to blame for me doing physics in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

4 player matches on a mates A500 :p
    jumpers for goalposts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Aye, was quality.

lol, "System Requirments : DOS"

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm nearly certain it has been updated recently - Scorched 3d or something. I think it might have been on a PC Gamer DVD even in the last 2 months

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

in fact, its here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That was such a great game. Very like worms. Remember playing 4-player on a 286 for hours.

I seem to recall my 286 was overclocked to 16mhz

• Advertisement
Advertisement