Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

decline of dance music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I've been saying for months that this was going to happen. My DJ buddies and I have been working together for almost 8 years, and R'n'B is whats taking off now. For the last couple of years, all kinds of dance music has begun to sound the same and resampled - nevermind the 80's choons being revamed with an above average 140+ bpm baseline!!

When I play in the clubs that I do, I like playing a lot of the stuff from the turn-of-the-century and leading up to it dance music. Most of that was original at least.

I think the fact that computers soaring in power and speed, were suddenly available to the average home user, and that software was more widely available, that almost anyone with in interest in the genre could make their own tracks. And with a bit of time, some of them made it out into the real world. Now everyone is trying it, and most are basing their styles on stuff that is already out there - not much originality is left anymore!

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Well I think its great that its getting less commercially popular, and articles like this will scare off the opportunists that kill the whole intent of the scene just to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

biggest pile of bull**** ever. Its just pass tthrough the commercial raping it got in the 1999/2000 era which is only a good thing for the scene. Sure Suga babes won the dance act award, and that says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

ro_chez wrote:
    Well I think its great that its getting less commercially popular

That's the point of the article. The Brit awards are pop awards, and as the article says, "That scene is returning to its underground roots."

And thank Christ for that too, I don't think I could handle another 'Lola's Theme'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

ro_chez wrote:
    Well I think its great that its getting less commercially popular, and articles like this will scare off the opportunists that kill the whole intent of the scene just to make money.

Spot on! I think it's great too.

The less LMC vs U2 the better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Whats that "grime" sh1t hes talkin' bout?
    I quite like the splits in that vid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

Dance will become far less accessible imo, in fact it's pretty hard to get into at the moment.
    Soulseek, discogs.org, wireless internet, laptops, knocked off copies of reason and vinyl & mp3 player hybrids look like the future from where I'm sitting.
    Could be a lot of fun, so long as the nerds pushing everything don't disappear up their own arses? A bit male only tho, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Maybe its a cyclical thing and its just going through a rough patch.

I've always been more of an indie kid, but I was into dance and electronic music in the 90's. Partly due to great bands like Orbital, Dust/Chemical Brothers and Sabres of Paradise as well as hearing some stuff from DJ mates that I wouldnt know the name of.

And partly due to doing yokes, dancing all night you'd hear some great tunes and they'd always remind you of a great club or party and you'd have to track them down.

I dont hear much anymore dance-wise that inspires and my yoke days are over, but I have a few mates who own turn-tables and its seems to me to be a real collector thing with them. They dont really play to a crowd much anymore but they're still big into buying records.

When I lived up north, I used to listen to BBC 1fm, mostly to John Peel, Jo Wylie and Steve Lamacq as they played mostly indie and alternative, but, from 7pm on Friday to Sunday afternoon you'd some great dance music.

I dont know what the schedules are on 1fm anymore but I doubt there is that much dance music. Its a good article that, but as I said, maybe its cyclical, maybe it will(or i it is) go underground and avoid all the corporate branding that has helped its demise.

But it has to be said, I hear some awful sh ite in the gym, all 80's pop songs redone with 150bpm, there surely has to be more talent out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

To be honest I'm kind of glad, it means that dance music will go back to where it belongs - underground, back to good music as well, less of your cheezy ****e. It wont dissappear, people like us wont let it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Cocaine is the problem...nobody wants to be buddies anymore!

• Advertisement
Advertisement