Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roddy goes to Rovers

• 04-11-2004 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

From ShamrockRovers.ie

SRFC Statement 4th November 2004

Shamrock Rovers are pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Roddy Collins as team manager of SRFC with immediate effect.
    Roddy will take chage of team matters for training this evening and for our next league game against Bohemian FC on Friday night.

Current manager Noel Synott will stay with the Club in a Senior Coaching capacity. We wish to thank Noel for his hard work, in difficult circumstances, over the last eight games

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wish Dublin City all the best in their struggle against relegation, and hope they catch Roddys Rovers.

Interesting note is that Roddy also has an interview pending with Shrewsbury Town in the 3rd Division in England.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Aaaahhhhh They'll have the best turned out team in the league. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

http://www.dublincityfc.net/news.php?id=1176

"It's the lowest thing I have ever seen in football, I'm in shock," Seery said. "To come and take a manager from your rivals with three games to go is a terrible thing to do, it's unethical from Rovers.

I have to agree with this.

Same goes for Roddy.

Makes for a great end of season though. I hope Rovers go down now, would serve them and Roddy right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well if they have some sort of desire to get relegated, Roddy Collins is the man to do it. What a hopeless manager. (I pray RTE do another documentary on him like when he was at Carlisle :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As a Pats fan and hater of rovers, it would make me very happy to 1, see them get talla sorted , 2 be the team to relegate them next week , 3 see them in talla with 9 million playing in Div 1.

Come on Dublin city , thats quite nasty at this time os season, very unethical but hey its rovers

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

And so the EL managerial merry-go-round continues
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

SteM wrote:
    And so the EL managerial merry-go-round continues
    :rolleyes:
    Apparently Dermot Keeley is taking over at CHF, with a helping hand from...wait for this....

Gill

What's Rico up to these days? The only thing that can save City now is an inspirational team talk from the league's most eloquent man manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Come on CHF, lets see rovers go down!

SteM wrote:
    What's Rico up to these days? The only thing that can save City now is an inspirational team talk from the league's most eloquent man manager!
    Don't you know he is working for the eircom League Weekly program on TV3.

Spasmodically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This is possibly the best thing Dublin could have hoped for. The players will be all well riled up as long as its still possible to staty up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Typical Roddy Collins, absolutely no loyalty, just looking for the best job with the best money he can get.

Dublin City have a match this evening that could decide their fate and yet he still jumps ship. Words cant describe my feelings for people like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

feck, what can I say. Must be a real kick in the teeth for Dublin to have a manager bail out like that. I think its a bit scummy. He just left for a club on the up and I think it shows poor character on his part.

feck, what can I say. Must be a real kick in the teeth for Dublin to have a manager bail out like that. I think its a bit scummy. He just left for a club on the up and I think it shows poor character on his part.

Played 3 since ther 9 million deal and lost 3 , can be a club on the up all the they want , dont pay your players and they wont play (in a decent sense)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This could be a huge spur on to Continuity Home Farm to really play above themselves, and clinch safety.

That said, they could be relegated tmr if Drogs beat them tonight, and Shams beat Bohs, though the latter is highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just looking at the fixtures, there is a bigger chance than I thought of Shams being relegated. Their next/last 3 games are Bohs (h), Pats (h/n), Dublin (a). If Bohs and Pats beat them all Dublin need is a win and 2 draws from their next 3 games and then beat Shams in Tolka. Sounds easier than it is though.

DCFC 1 - 2 Drogs appproaching HT

Id Shams manage to beat Bohs tmr night is all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Why have Rovers appointed this spoofer and one season wonder anyway? I can't see the fans being over the moon with it.

That match ended 3-2 to Drogs last night.

If Rovers draw two matches, win one or if Dublin City don't win all their remaining matches, then Dublin are down, so it is looking bad for them.

Tonight sees yet another Dublin Derby in Tolka Park, with Shams playing Bohs. I don't think Rovers will beat Bohs tonight, however.

Rovers fans i know in the 400 club (real fans ) knew of this a long time as it was said to me ages ago by one of them. They seriously pissed off as they hate him (like most irish people do)

Players still not getting paid , hopefully Bohs hammer them tonight, Bohs you owe them for the 6-4 :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Slash/ED wrote:
    Why have Rovers appointed this spoofer and one season wonder anyway? I can't see the fans being over the moon with it.

That's exactly what he is. The disloyalty of it all defies belief. He took over DC & puts the whole squad on the transfer list. It doesn't work out at all so he bails out in order to save a relegation tag from his CV.
    W****r is being nice about him.

• Advertisement

Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Bohs beat Shams 6-4 in the Morton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

DUBLIN CITY FC has asked the Eircom League Board of Control to investigate the details surrounding Roddy Collins' decision to take over as manager of Shamrock Rovers FC.

The eircom League will host a board of control meeting on Monday (November 8) and Dublin City Chief Executive, Ronan Seery, has requested to make a statement to the assembly. He will be strongly recommending that Shamrock Rovers be severly dealt with as a result of their unethical actions in approaching Roddy Collins whilst manager of Dublin City FC.

He will further make a case to consider the possibility of deducting points or suspending the club as a result of their attempt to undermine the business workings of a fellow eircom League club.

"I believe there are solid grounds for this appeal. This approach was timed to have a maximum negative effect on a club that has conducted it's business in a proper and above board manner at all times," said Seery.

"The integrity of the game must be protected and this can only happen if Shamrock Rovers are dealt with in the strongest possible way. We need to send out the right messages or run the gauntlet of irrevocably undermining the game we are trying to promote."

Be interesting to see how that goes on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

They are currently talking about this on liveline on Radio 1 at the moment.

Edit : Ronan & Roddy are now talking, not to each other but to Joe. Ronan was only told by the public yesterday morning that Roddy had moved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

as much as i hate bothe Dublin City and Rovers, and Roddy Collins, i have to admit that Roddy made a pretty caluclated, well thought out move. to be fiar, you;ve got to llok out for yourself, and that's exactly what the man did. he left a souless, fanless franchise of a team, and joined Rovers, who, while they're in no great shape now, have a loyal fanbase, a new stadium that's set to be completed. what would you do?

I'm not defending the man, but to be fair, Dublin City didn't even have a contract with Roddy!! they've no grounds to be complaining, of coursehe was going to jump ship when something better came along. we went through the same thing in Cork with Colin Murphy years ago. So, to be honest, i think Dublin City have no-one else to blame but themselves. They knew exactly they were getting with Roddy, and not to tie him to a contract was bordering on the stupid

Just listening to Liveline now. Great stuff altogether!

I'm just listening to Liveline now.

What is this so called "issue" that Roddy was on about, this immorality at CHF, and why won't say what it is?

He said the players know what he is on about, but the CHD captain came on and said he hadn't a clue what Roddy was talking about.

And as for the Shams fan who was on calling CHF a "Micky Mouse" club who are going back to the "Micky Mouse" first division, that makes me want them to get relegated out of the entire league.

And I hate that Brush Shields muppet.

The fact that Dublin City didnt have a contract but had instead a "gentleman's agreement"' is a sham in itself. They cant go crying if someone just walks away when the ship looks like it might sink. Roddy should have waited till the season was out or at least talked with Dublin City about it.

I hope this is a good example for the rest of the clubs. They really should have contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The answer Ronan Sheery gave as to how he pays his players was hilarious , but probably true :eek: .

The only proper point I thought Roddy made was , that he was going to be joining Shamrock Rovers , so how could he go ahead with trying to get them relegated , instead of his current club (now former club) .

The fact that Dublin City didnt have a contract but had instead a "gentleman's agreement"' is a sham in itself. They cant go crying if someone just walks away when the ship looks like it might sink. Roddy should have waited till the season was out or at least talked with Dublin City about it.

I hope this is a good example for the rest of the clubs. They really should have contracts.

According to the programme, they also have a gentleman's agrrement with their sponsors!!!

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    The answer Ronan Sheery gave as to how he pays his players was hilarious
    It was yeah, right enough.

I might just pop down to Tolka Park tonight, there's bound to be some "banter" between the Rovers and Bohs fans after all of this.
    robo wrote:
    According to the programme, they also have a gentleman's agrrement with their sponsors!!!
    And it sounds like the Carroll's shops have being paying the players wages too.

I doubt very much that Collins was working for CHF for nothing.

When Joe asked him if the "issue" was related to money, Roddy said "Ah no, I never got a cheque that bounced" or something to that effect.

RTE Soccer Results Service
    Shamrock Rovers 0:1 Bohemians (FT)
    Venue: Tolka Park Date: 05/11/2004
    88 mins Goal Crowe

Looks like Roddy got off to the worst start possible. I'd laugh at him if he ended up being relegated and Dublin stayed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Looks like Roddy got off to the worst start possible. I'd laugh at him if he ended up being relegated and Dublin stayed up.

Expect Roddy to be named new Spurs manager on Monday. He's bringing Louis Copeland with him to design the new jerseys...

Doubt that he is singing like he said he was last Saturday night on the way home from Derry on the bus! Bless his cotton sox!!!

Roddy was on the radio this morning... he was basically saying that Dublin City didnt want to pay the players anymore and they were happy enough to get relegated. The club said they were going to put out a statement that would cover roddy but in the end it turns out that they were shafting him. He wasnt going to take up his post until the start of the next season but he took it straight away in light of what happened.

I say fair play to roddy for walking, Dublin city were far from acting on the level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

That's if you believe Roddy, in fairness he's not exactly famous for telling it like it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Collins was wrong to jump ship at such a critical juncture for the Dublin City, even if the conditions were far from ideal. Still, it'll be interesting to see how the one season wonder preforms next season, assuming he doesn't jump ship again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Did anyone watch Eircom League Weekly on tv3 last night? Roddy was being interviewed after the Bohs game and he said that he was optimistic about Rovers' chances of staying up because:

"We're in a better position than they are"

Amazing eh?

He also said that he was delighted at the commitment level of his players as that was all he asked. Ironic that someone like him is asking for commitment!

I wouldnt have had a problem with the move if it was made after the season, or even after City were officially relegated.

If city dont pick up the 3 points in flancare park there gone !!Personally I cant seem them winning.

Nah, CHF will be gone tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

gimmick wrote:
    Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Bohs beat Shams 6-4 in the Morton?

No correction neccessary. They were winning 4-1 at halftime and we got 5 unanswered in the 2nd to make it 6-4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement