Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winchester AMD 64 Problem

Options
  • 04-11-2004 1:58pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

Just got my new winchester 3200 cpu. Alas its not going to work in my motherboard as I need to update the bios to get the cpu to be detected. To update the bios I need a working cpu chip. I.E. a socket 939 chip 130nm newcastle or ( an 939 fx chip :)) to load up my machine. Anyone care to oblige me and turn up at my house with a 939 chip in there pocket (long shot I know). My alturnatives are get a new bios chip. Or ship the motherboard back.

Be wary of this problem if getting a winchester the only board that works out of the Box is the asus board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Man that suks, pity i dont have a socket 939, let us know if u get a lend of one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

that does indeed suck :confused:

seems stupid to bring out a new core..then you can only have 2 options - just happen to have a spare s939 cpu lying around :rolleyes: ..or be limited to one motherboard :(

shame about that ...obviously i dont have 1 to lend you either..but hope you get it sorted soon i wanna know what these winchesters can really do! :D

Yeh me too, i mite be interested in gettin one later on :D , supposed to be a savage chip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

What motherboard have you got? There's a fair few fixes available for this kind of situation such as hotflashing or booting with 1 stick of memory in the first mem slot or booting with a floppy disk with the updated bios on it -- all depends what board you have? The msi K8N neo2 platinum also recognises it provided it has bios version 1.2 or 1.3 installed and I believe with bios 1.1 you can do the one stick memory trick to get the chip recognised and allow you to flash. Ordered my 3500+ winchester - MSI K8N neo2 platinum and Asus star ice hsf earlier today, should have it all by early next week.

AH wish i could get some new "toys" lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

/me looks at glines rig

youve got enough! :p

Yeh but with a spare vapochill PE with nothing in it me thinks that i dont have enough. Its just laughing at me , empty with all that overclocking potential to be another beast of a pc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I'd say change the mobo. The Neo2 is a better overclocker in general and has native support for winchester straight from the box.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Got it fixed. Friend of mine came down from Galway with a 3500 newcastle for 939 and I was able to flash the bios. Will do for now. I see DFI have new boards coming for socket 939. Can't get the sound to work on the motherboard now and my isdn modem hass stopped working on other rig....argghhh!!!

Well on my way to insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there is a workaround for the msi boards, if u only put in one stick of ram itll boot and let ya flash the bios iirc

• Advertisement
Advertisement