Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Center 2005?

• 04-11-2004 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I recently finished building a reasonably high spec machine recently. It's main purpose was for a HTPC/Games machine. I was going to purchase XP Pro but then I came across an OEM version of XP Media Center 2005 for sale on overclockers.co.uk.

I know an OEM version is a version provided by manufacturers but what are the differences in it and a normal retail version? I know Media Center is only available with a new Media Center PC (unless you purchase an OEM version).

Is it worth getting this version over XP Pro?? Or should I just purchase HTPC software to run on xp pro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

jester77 wrote:
    I recently finished building a reasonably high spec machine recently. It's main purpose was for a HTPC/Games machine. I was going to purchase XP Pro but then I came across an OEM version of XP Media Center 2005 for sale on overclockers.co.uk.

I know an OEM version is a version provided by manufacturers but what are the differences in it and a normal retail version? I know Media Center is only available with a new Media Center PC (unless you purchase an OEM version).

Is it worth getting this version over XP Pro?? Or should I just purchase HTPC software to run on xp pro?

I built my pc as well and bought an oem disk of Win XP home from a Us company on Ebay for USD 90. Mine came with no proper manual just the Windows COA sticker and product key. I've had no probs since and I'll never buy software again at full price. I wouldn't download it tho- I'd stick to getting a CD delivered as its safer in case your harddisk packs it in.

mrblack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭hulhi

basically, as mrblack wrote, main difference between OEM and Retail software or Boxed and Loose (usually comes in pack of 10) hardware is Retail soft and Boxed hardware come in pretty packaging /w pretty manuals and bits and pieces, while OEM soft and Loose hardware come as package bare necessities

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I've had XP Media Center Edition 2005 running for just over a week now (bought a legit OEM copy and remote control on ebay).

We're delighted with it so far, watching/recording/pausing TV, listening to music etc etc is just a piece of cake. It all works flawlessly so far.

Only downside is the lack of the electronic program guide for Ireland, although this is something I'm hoping to rectify this evening with XMLTV.

FYI XP MCE 2005 is Windows XP Pro with a few bits removed (domain membership, group policies etc) and a lot of bits added. The few bits that were removed were taken out to stop manufacturers using MCE2005 (cheaper) instead of XP Pro in a commercial environment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hulhi wrote:
    basically, as mrblack wrote, main difference between OEM and Retail software or Boxed and Loose (usually comes in pack of 10) hardware is Retail soft and Boxed hardware come in pretty packaging /w pretty manuals and bits and pieces, while OEM soft and Loose hardware come as package bare necessities
    And the Draconian licencing conditions attached with OEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

I read a statement from M/S saying the reason media centre wasn't released in Ireland yet was because they haven't sorted out the channels, as apparently different frequencies are running in different countries.
    However seeing as Graham is watching and recording his, brings me to the conclusion that M/S are lying again.
    also on the off point
    Retail software comes with support from the manufacturer(you get 2 free calls to microsoft if you buy XP retail, and a bit of mail support as well, costs twice as much though.
    OEM software support comes from the person you bought the software from, loads cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fatmander wrote:
    Retail software comes with support from the manufacturer(you get 2 free calls to microsoft if you buy XP retail, and a bit of mail support as well, costs twice as much though.
    It was a while back but if you bought NT4 server retail, all incidents had to be paid for, and if your problem wasn't solved you got a credit against the next call.
    also AFAIK you are ringing a call centre run by the company who put the best tender to microsoft, because microsoft outsource or lease just about everything outside of the core business (coding & legal dept)

http://mysettopbox.tv/basics.html - linux alternative.

http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2208
    Fast forward to today where Microsoft has begun selling OEM versions of their Media Center Edition to "Mom and Pop" shops to be installed on only Media Center Edition certified machines. This is a step forward, since it gives more power to those smaller shops. Media Center Edition still does not have support for the long list of hardware that MythTV does, but Microsoft has expanded their driver list quite a bit from their first release.
    so looks like they quite prefer the bundled route rather than the OEM.

Advertisement