Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smilies

Options
  • 04-11-2004 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I don't seem to be able to put the smilies in my posts.

See the following thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=198636

for whatever reason ( I am using Firefox ) the smilie doesn't appear.

This started happening when I was quoting another post, unfortunately I have no examples.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You haven't by any chance got "Disable smilies in text" checked in your "Additional properties"?
    What happens when you type a smiley? does it just show up as text? or get parsed to a smiley that never appears?

Try switching to pie.boards.ie .. I've had some weird problems cleared up when I did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

May be related to turning off of IMG tag in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Don't think so Trojan, IMG tags are off in English, but smilies work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Is the problem when you are creating the message or after the message has been posted?

In my firefox 0.9.3 for Mac, upon clicking the smiley it appears in the message window pre-posting, and then appears fine post-posting.

Or are you typing the smiley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OK,

Here's a scenario.

I type up a post and choose a smiley from the smiley chooser dealy above the text, the smiley appears in the post as normal, then preview.

In Firefox : The image does not display, only the URL to the image, if I submit the message, it is the same.

In IE : The image displays in the preview, but not in the submitted post.

I don't have disable smileys ticked, I have looked in to this many times.

Can anyone help?

example here : I have not got "Disable smilies in text" ticked - maybe someone can tell me if they can see the smiley?

confused.gif

Strange, I can see that one now??

It is happening in AH and soccer forums, and never in other people's posts, as is said below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I've noticed this happening at random times, but only for other peopls posts, never my own. Seen it happen about 6 or 7 times, goes away by itself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I just added one to your post no problem.

Are you putting in the Smilie code - :eek: for example, or are you pasting the link to the image into your post?

I say this because there's no reason why it would have [img]tags in your post. When you add the smilie code to your post, it gets entered into the database in that format. When then your post is pulled from the Database, vB then parses the page. If it comes upon :[/img]eek: for example, it replaces that with "<a href="....">, and if it sees the tag, it does what it has to there.  So afaik, there's no reason why vB would change bbcode for smilies into bbcode for images, since your post is entered into the database, as is, unparsed (mostly). Maybe it's a bug.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Have had the same problem as yourself, Seansouth. I get the URL sometimes, and not the smiley. There's no consistency to it either - seems more of a quirk than anything... (Also using FireFox but doubt that's the problem).

I can see the "confused" one in my post up there.

What I do is I choose the smiley from the smiley chooser above the post writer screen.

I typed this --> eek.gif
    I chose this --> redface.gif
    I used : and ) --> smile.gif

And they seem to be working fine in the preview

edit : but not in the submitted post.

I can see the "embarrassed" one no prob, but the other two have reverted to image tags?

biggrin.gif
    :)

Aha...ok

I'm using the standard editor, so I didn't know initially what you meant by "choosing a smilie from above the text". If you're using the enhanced editor and choose a smilie from the drop down, it uses tags, and not smilie code.  We're getting somewhere...

• Advertisement

Stop showing off.

Incidentally, this has only happened since the change to the new look vB.

What can you see in my post there, the one where I put the 3 different smilies in?

smile.gifredface.gif

:) :eek: :D

I can only see the "embarrassed" smilie.

In your UserCP under options, have you got "Show Images" ticked?

I do have that ticked.

Up there in that post, the one you can see, is the one I choose from the thing above the text.

The other two are ones I used the :: tag for, and just typed : and )

Funkeh.

Change your editor to the Standard one (again, in the options) and try it again.

OK so, here goes.
    :D
    ;)
    :p
    :rolleyes:
    :o
    :mad:
    :(
    :eek:
    :cool:
    :confused:

So, they all worked alright.

Where lies the problem?

Problem with the enhanced editor I guess, replacing smilie code with [img]tags. [Edit: Actually, it seems that the enhanced editor is replacing them with links to: "/vbulletin/templates/path_to_smilie/smiley.gif", as opposed to "http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/templates/path_to_smilie/smiley.gif&quot; So when you type smilie code, the enhanced editor replaces the code with a link that doesn't work, but when you insert a smilie using the drop-down, it inserts a valid URL, which is why the smilie appears. They don't display on After Hours because the[/img]tags are turned off.

I am not being smart, so please don't take this like I am.

Is it going to be fixed?

seansouth wrote:
    I am not being smart, so please don't take this like I am.

Is it going to be fixed?
    No idea. I'm not an administrator. :)

seamus wrote:
    No idea. I'm not an administrator. :)
    Sorry,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The brokenness here is that whichever menu you're using assume that the target forum allows smileys (rather than img tags being disabled which is presumably by design). For now it's best to just use the :whatever: format when possible.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I wish to hereby register my support for the creation of a :whatever: smiley.

Man, what a useful device that would be...!

oscarBravo wrote:
    I wish to hereby register my support for the creation of a :whatever: smiley.

Man, what a useful device that would be...!
    :rolleyes: suffices for me tbh :)

ecksor wrote:
    The brokenness here is that whichever menu you're using assume that the target forum allows smileys (rather than img tags being disabled which is presumably by design).
    Since the drop-downs are just adding bbcode, would it not be just a matter of tweaking the dropdown in the enhanced editor to add the smilie codes instead of the [img]tags? Presumably, somewhere along the line, things such as :[/img]) and :eek: are being replaced by the editor with tags. It would solve the problem short-term (just not for forums that don't allow[img]tags) if the editor just added in valid URLs, or didn't parse smilies at all. :)[/img]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That's true, but that wasn't the question ...

(the answer to the question I didn't answer is "I dunno").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

ecksor wrote:
    That's true, but that wasn't the question ...

(the answer to the question I didn't answer is "I dunno").
    ;)

Advertisement