Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars Cash Game tonight...

Options
  • 04-11-2004 2:53pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is tonight, right?
    Is it No Limit or Pot Limit?
    Can I have Hector's head when we are finished screwing with it through woeful calls and terrible bets?!
    What time?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

It IS tonight, right? 10 o'clock? I wonder what form of nut hand I'll flop against Dev tonight..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yes its tonight, looking like pot limit unless everybody wants NL with blinds of 1-2 possibily 1-2-2 depending on what people want but if the blinds are 1-2-2 it shouldnt make too much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Juan Pablo wrote:
    It IS tonight, right? 10 o'clock? I wonder what form of nut hand I'll flop against Dev tonight..... :D

yup tonight at 10 :) should be fun, i'm looking forward not to have to play that crazy game (omaha) esp after last night :/

Anyone wanna explain to an omaha newb what I did wrong, if anything in this hand. Call with AQT9. Flop comes KJ7 (not sure about the seven) two diamonds anyway. Pay to see forth street. Hit my T for the nuts (it's a heart, now there's two hearts and two diamonds) Checked round to me and I go all in for another 55 or so. Two callers, diamond comes on the river and of course someones hit the nut flush. But from what I could see he was only drawning to diamonds, had nothing else. Any thoughts?

not much, you could have had 1000s in front of you and bet the f**k out of it on the flop and turn, anyone calling your bet on the flop knows they will have to call the pot on 4th and 5th street and may think twice if you had more money in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

€55 is nothing to some of the lads playing in there. Simple as that. Its like me or you calling someones all in for €2. You should get more respect tonight ;) Ya, right.

• Advertisement

you coming along Neil?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:
    It is tonight, right?
    Is it No Limit or Pot Limit?
    Can I have Hector's head when we are finished screwing with it through woeful calls and terrible bets?!
    What time?

DeV.

That sounds like a challenge. Fancy a crossbook?

bohsman wrote:
    you coming along Neil?

Hope to Oscar. Might play the freeroll first and stick my name down then for your game. If there is a space in the cash game I might just go straight there.

biteme wrote:
    . Hit my T for the nuts (it's a heart, now there's two hearts and two diamonds) Checked round to me and I go all in for another 55 or so. Two callers, diamond comes on the river and of course someones hit the nut flush. But from what I could see he was only drawning to diamonds, had nothing else. Any thoughts?

A diamond draw was more than enough for them to call another 55 with, especially if there are two in (some of the cash game players idea of "value" is odd!), youd have to put them on that (or one on that and another on trips/two pair). Two suits with the river to come I'd have probably checked here knowing by betting I wont get rid of the draw monkeys, if the third diamond/ paired boards comes down check then fold. Weak, I know, but cash game Yamaha is a different animal to tourney Yamaha.

biteme wrote:
    yup tonight at 10 :) should be fun, i'm looking forward not to have to play that crazy game (omaha) esp after last night :/

Anyone wanna explain to an omaha newb what I did wrong, if anything in this hand. Call with AQT9. Flop comes KJ7 (not sure about the seven) two diamonds anyway. Pay to see forth street. Hit my T for the nuts (it's a heart, now there's two hearts and two diamonds) Checked round to me and I go all in for another 55 or so. Two callers, diamond comes on the river and of course someones hit the nut flush. But from what I could see he was only drawning to diamonds, had nothing else. Any thoughts?

Three things you could of done differently

A) fold the flop
    B) Buy in for more
    C) dont play omaha

If your going to play omaha you better get used to being outdrawn. Heres the last omaha hand I played

I have JJQ10, Q & 10 of clubs on the big blind, everybody limps and an old guy on the button raises. This is the first hand hes raises, so i put him on AAxx. I call as does most of the table. Flop is J 2 5 with 2 clubs. I bet the pot which is about €60. Turn is a blank, and I bet the pot again, which is about €150. He calls. River is the K of clubs. I check and he bets. I only have 90 or so left so on the off chance he a lower flush or KK I call. I lose.

• Advertisement

Juan Pablo wrote:
    A diamond draw was more than enough for them to call another 55 with, especially if there are two in (some of the cash game players idea of "value" is odd!), youd have to put them on that (or one on that and another on trips/two pair). Two suits with the river to come I'd have probably checked here knowing by betting I wont get rid of the draw monkeys, if the third diamond/ paired boards comes down check then fold. Weak, I know, but cash game Yamaha is a different animal to tourney Yamaha.

This is what I was thinking after I got up. That I'm gonna get called no matter what so they can see the last card. If it was black I'm happy. But on the other hand. If the diamond doesn't fall I don't know if I'm gonna get paid on missed draws..

biteme wrote:
    This is what I was thinking after I got up. That I'm gonna get called no matter what so they can see the last card. If it was black I'm happy. But on the other hand. If the diamond doesn't fall I don't know if I'm gonna get paid on missed draws..

If you dont bet you are giving them infinite odds to hit their flush, and noone I know is likely to call a bet on the river with a flush draw.

If you dont bet you are giving them infinite odds to hit their flush, and noone I know is likely to call a bet on the river with a flush draw.

You haven't played an omaha/hold 'em cash game in the fitz have you.

On a side note the bad beat was won last night, Poker of Queens to a Royal flush. Was slightly annoying cuz I was moved of the table about 5 mins before it happened :/

biteme wrote:
    You haven't played an omaha/hold 'em cash game in the fitz have you

No, some Dev character said hed show me the ropes tonight though. Is it a very loose game?

No, some Dev character said hed show me the ropes tonight though. Is it a very loose game?

Loose? Nah, full of rocks, people who only play KK or better. Like myself, or that Oscar fella ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That sounds like a challenge. Fancy a crossbook?
    What? That we'll make woefull calls and terrible bets?!

Yeah, I'll take that bet that we will. :)

DeV.

So what time did ye finish up. Who were the big winners. It was a good game. I got very little cards all night and then made a bad read and lost all my cash. Totally different from tournament play. I found when I did get some cards it was very hard to make money. Some lessons learned though.
    The main one being that oscar is a lunatic :D:D

I finished up around 2.15, was up a good bit but lost with junk like AA, ATs and AJs before I finished up, decent profit for the nights play nonetheless. T'was a bit of a grind though, I was itching for a round of Omaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Great Night. As JP says it is a bit of a grind without the omaha, but it's definitely the most enjoyable cash game I've played in the club. I finished around 1:30 about 200 quid up, and went to the pub to buy Oscar a few drinks with his money.

I managed to lose another big hand, but claw my way back up a small bit towards respectability. I left after losing to runner runner flush. Roll on next week.

• Advertisement

Heres two interesting hands from last night, one I played badly, and the other I played very badly. I could have one or two details wrong.

After a few limpers Marq makes it €10 to go with something like KQ or QJ (Im guessing here). Bohsman calls utg and I do too with 4 7 of hearts. Flop is K 5 6, with two spades and a heart. Marq checks and Bohsman leads out with a bet of €25. I only have €75 left, and Im torn between calling to entice Marq into the pot, and reraising. If I had only €50 left i would call, as I would then only have to call a small bet on the turn. I contemplate folding, but I reckon theres a good chance bohsman called with something like K2 of hearts, and will fold. If he has a flush draw a 4 or a 7 might win it for me. So I raise all in and bohsman calls.

Before the turn comes I call out, your ahead. He disagrees. I say, I really really think your ahead. He disagrees. Turn and river are both blanks. He turns over 7 3 of spades and we split it an allmost €200 pot with 7 high.

The other hand is shorter. I raise with Ak. Flop is K3x. I raise. He calls but thinks about raising. I put him on a set, and decide to check fold. I check, he bets, and I go all in. He has 333.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had a good time, despite having to grind back from the brink when I misread Oscars Insanity twice. Couple of nice hands got me back in the game when HJ and I went at each other over a bit of a crazy hand. "You're KJ is good!" being the comment of the night :) (I actually *was* holding KJ which gave me the nuts!). I dont think HJ could *buy* a break in that game.

I bounced around €300 for a while and left at 1:15 up 200 notes. It was a good laugh, plenty of banter and at the start when I nearly did my tank at Oscar I was more annoyed that I'd have to get up and leave then that I'd lost the guts of 100 notes!

Apparently the game went on all night! Big John the taxi driver told me he sat in at at 2am and played for ages!

I couldnt believe that after reraising Charlie (with AQs) he rereraised me only 30 more (all in) holding 77's! Needless to say it was a good bet :/

DeV.

Yup I held Q9 suited in that hand that ye split with a seven high. sandwiched between two players who i've seen repeatedly bet their draws, when the flop comes 5-6-K with 56 of spades, i put Hector on the straight draw, but I wasn't sure what oscar had. actually, i had no idea what oscar had, but it looked like he was gonna call, and as i hadn't put any money into the pot yet after the flop it didn't seem to tough to lay down a draw to the 5th or 6th nuts. thought oscar might have a bigger set of spades, or at least a made hand, so i threw it away. turns out oscar is all in on a middle-pin straight draw, Hector's also got seven high, and not a spade in sight. i sat back and looked at the hundred and sixty quid that i would have won with a queen high being split between this pair of chancers and decided i wanted to go for a pint.

Had you and I both stayed in I'd have been laughing! Folded AJ (ace on the river) on the K high flop thinking since they both called a preflop raise of €9 one of them has me licked here :eek:

I had an inside straight flush draw leaving me with 12 outs more than hector or marq

considering I had the spades and hector had one of the fours, you had three outs. in fairness, it's more than you usally have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Myself and Brendan struggled out of the fitz to get the first bus at about 6am. I sat down with about 100, at one stage I was stuck for about 250, but brought it back slowly for a profit of about 90. The only reason I (and probably Brendan) stayed so late was that there was 2 guys just throwing money at the table. We were playing 4-handed and 5-handed for a while which was interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I'll be along on Thursday for some hot cash game action, 10 is it? would it be worth my while coming along for 7 to catch a few S n G's?

yes to both, not sure how many there will be for the cash game, a few will probably play the merrion 200 probably myself included if i can trust them not to bring in rebuys or topups during the tournament

• Advertisement

I'll be along to play the cash game again. It was fun alright.

DeV.

Advertisement