Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the beach - again

Options
  • 03-04-2000 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

Ever notice that the book always has a completly different tone to the film. I mean
    I know theyre going to have to cahnge some things but it always reads almost like a completly different story.
    And oh my god! I think I liked Di Caprios character better than the guy in the book.

Btw, wtf is that thing in the toilet about a jug or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

books are always better than the film, and
    that my friend is a given

though there have benn a few exceptions
    which im sure will be pointed out to me
    before long

smile.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yup:
    My view "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" bland and boring compared to Blade Runner.
    But in general you would be correct that the books are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

It immeadiatly occurs to me, so don't quote me, that if the book is written as a novel, then adapted for a movie, the film doesn't surpass it, but if the movie was initially a screen play, then the novel adaptation doesn't do it justice.
    if you want to prove the book better than movie thing, just look at elmore leonard novels.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yup:
    My view "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" bland and boring compared to Blade Runner.
    But in general you would be correct that the books are better.

True, Do Androids was a disappointment to me but then I saw the movie first which I think is partly to do with Excelsiors point.

I dunno if the film being from a screenplay and thence to a book would affect it, it probably does but definitely whichever you view/read first is likely to colour your view of the latter.

Do Androids... could have been a great book if I had arrived on it with no preconceptions but I did so it didnt live up to what I thought I was getting.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the screen can never represent what you can imagine when reading a book.
    think of a book youve read recently and then think about the backgrounds etc in where it was set. i find a lot of the time i set scenes in places i know. whith huge differences i add, but still if you deconstruct them, it could be where i went to school, where i work etc. it all looks so diferent in a film and therefore will ultimately disappoint.
    i find that if i read a book where the detail is too much. everything is poited out to the most specific of details, it takes away from the book. theres no room left to imagine what the setting is like. itss like being told what t o thnk. an exception to this is the wheel of time series where i tend to bypass the detail. also make s the books about half as long as well smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pox

On this topic I deign it proper to advise
    one and all against reading the tesseract.

Garland clearly proving that beach was
    Jambaggy accidento bizzaro.

zzz..manilla....zzz....gangster....
    sewers...a four dimensional object
    represented in two? what? whyyyyyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

uh - yeah, but what about the plastic pitcher thing. What's THAT about?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    the screen can never represent what you can imagine when reading a book.
    i find a lot of the time i set scenes in places i know. whith huge differences i add, but still if you deconstruct them, it could be where i went to school, where i work etc. it all looks so diferent in a film and therefore will ultimately disappoint.

Well said. That's really a big part of the enjoyment of reading a book - and the crux of this arguement.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

Hey kharn, i don't think there's enough argueing in this arguement. Maybe someone (bubbles, tct, wvy) should say something really controversial. It's wierd when we all agree.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You're a big fupping muppet Excelsior. That better? wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Advertisement

and kharn, you truly are a shi.tgate for a head. movies not as good as books. next you'll be tellin me cigerettes are bad for you and charlie haughey, (god bless that man's soul) isn't all he makes himself out to be.

Advertisement