Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Mail.

Options
  • 04-11-2004 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Folks,

There have been a few posts on the subject of Vodafone Mail and I thought I'd provide a few pre-emptive troubleshooting tips for getting access for registered users to your their accounts.

Back in the Eircell days, user email accounts were @e-merge.ie . Vodafone went through a transition phase to @vodafone.ie and old @e-merge.ie addresses were honoured.

Customers were encouraged to use the webmail interface, but also to access their mail on their device/application of choice (phone mail clients, outlook etc)

The e-merge.ie days are now gone, all @e-merge.ie accounts are now closed and any reference to users 'old' email address are no longer valid.

If you are having problems with your account please check that you have the following settings:

POP3: (port 110)
    Hostname: pop.vodafone.ie
    Username: <user>@vodafone.ie (your full email address)
    Password: <Your My Vodafone password>

IMAP4: (port 143)
    Hostname: imap.vodafone.ie (same IP address as pop.vodafone.ie)
    Username: <user>@vodafone.ie (your full email address)
    Password: <Your My Vodafone password>

SMTP: (port 25)
    Hostname: mail.vodafone.ie

If your problems persist, your best course of action is to contact Customer Care where the issue can be investigated further.

For suggestions and feedback please feel free to submit feedback to Vodafone on http://www.vodafone.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

detritus wrote:
    There have been a few posts on the subject of Vodafone Mail and I thought I'd provide a few pre-emptive troubleshooting tips

hi, thanks for the posting... just one or two notes
    detritus wrote:
    IMAP4... (same as pop actually)

IMAP and POP are actually different: detailed info
    detritus wrote:
    MAIL: ... mail.vodafone.ie

that's usually referred to as SMTP (or Outgoing Server) rather than 'MAIL'
    detritus wrote:
    If your problems persist, your best course of action is to contact Customer Care

or asking on here ;)

Thanks,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 opthrcks

I think detritus is saying the hostname (used for retrieving email) can be the same - rather than IMAP4 is the same as POP3 - both imap.vodafone.ie and pop.vodafone.ie resolve to the same IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

opthrcks wrote:
    I think detritus is saying the hostname (used for retrieving email) is the same - rather than IMAP4 is the same as POP3 - both imap.vodafone.ie and pop.vodafone.ie resolve to the same IP address.

well the hostnames would be different as one is called imap.vodafone.ie and the other is called pop.vodafone.ie - even if they go to the same IP ;)

but yes, it's more common these days to just use one name for the incoming server (and with some ISPs also the outgoing) - as the connecting port determines whether POP or IMAP is used

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Ah yes, I can see where it my text could lead to confusion, duly edited and updated. thanks for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 opthrcks

Sorry - what I meant is that it is the one host (wrong word using hostname) - with the resolved IP address being the same.

So you can put either pop.vodafone.ie OR imap.vodafone.ie as the name, at the end of the day it really comes down to which protocol your email client supports.

My advise would be that if your email client supports both IMAP4 and POP3 that you use IMAP4 as your protocol of choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement