Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just for Castor :p

Options
  • 05-04-2000 4:16am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats on peoples bedside table?

Like I said in another post, I'm reading, Liars Poker, Inversions and a pop. science book called "How Brains Think" (I'm not actually *reading* it you understand, I just leave it there to make me look intellectual smile.gif )

Hmmmm. Book buzz... Thats what 7 evening in Utah and 2 12-hour flights will do to you...

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Finished reading Prachett's "Hogfather" last night - tore into Arthur C's "Garden of Rama".
    I wouldn't mind, but I was so tired I went to bed at 10 so I'd have enough time to finish Hogfather an get a good sleep. No such luck frown.gif

"Garden of Rama" is shaping up to be quite the read - as certainly griped me more than the previous 2, but I've mainly been erading Fantasy for the last couple months so the Sci-Fi buzz must have got me again smile.gif

Next on the list is "Mistress of the Empire" by Feist and Janny Wurts. Last in the trilogy. It's been a pretty good read for the first 2 books. If you've not read Magician and co, some of it won't make sense, but if you have and are bored - go for it smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hart's War by John Katzenbach, which I am nearly finished - next up a biog of the Marquis De Sade, then Denying The Holocaust by Deborah Lipstadt (the one that that fascist Irving is suign her for libel over, thought I better get it in case he wins and wants all copies of it burnt smile.gif )

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pox

kafka's castle unfinished, and looking to
    stay that way, new rebellion starwars book
    (which despite my brother's entusiasm I
    cant get into any of the starwars literature)
    and born of a woman by bishop spong
    (which is a lie, cos its on my table and
    not my bedside table, but I read it none
    the less cos its by a radical christian
    who reckons mary was raped and many other
    radical thoughts on christianity that the
    establishment has trouble swallowing but
    cant stop him cos hes an ordained bishop
    and has studied the bible acadamically and
    recreationaly since he could read yadda
    yadda) and I STILL haven't bought the
    survivor.

I cant remember if I've read mistress
    of the empire, I went through the magician
    books but it was a while ago. tell us what
    its like tho kharn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

going back over Lumley's necroscope series... all the way up to book four of the first set in two days! smile.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The Godfather, by Mario Punzo (or something like that).
    Some book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Just finished Watchmen (moore/gibbons, see other thread) for the 4th time in as many years and it still blows me away.
    Also in the middle of "a prayer for Owen Meaney" by John Irving which so far is excellent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Reading concurrently:
    Star Fox - Poul Anderson, classic SciFi though dated.
    Spanish Inquisition - Henry Kamen.
    Diatoms to Dinosaurs, Size of Things - Chris McGowan, simply to find out why I'm so short smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

sophie's world.
    lyonesee 2 by jack vance
    a michael crichton medical drama from 1969.
    just so stories by rudyard kipling
    the woman's room by someone or other, whihc is a wierdy feminist book from my least favourite time, the 70s.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

At the moment I'm reading Power Play by Anne McCaffrey; and before that Rainbow 6 by Tom Clancy.

R6 was an okay book but as usual it was predictable as hell and about halfway through got very boring...

I'm only starting Power Play but its looking interesting...

Kegs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

The Fighting Man by Gerald Seymour.
    (Yes just the one)
    Only just started, but it seems different anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Radovar

Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut, who's probably... yes, is my favourite author. This however is my least favourite of his so far. I HIGHLY recommend Slaughterhouse Five, Welcome to the Monkey House and Cats Cradle though, in that order. Anyone?

Also Perfume by Patrick Suskind which some girl gave me and I've been reading on and off a while. Just can't get very INTO it.

And Lord of the Rings, which I've been reading for about 3 years. Also on and off. But I'm VERY into that one. Don't want it to end.

Advertisement