Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From C# to DirectX..

Options
  • 04-11-2004 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm developing an Air Hockey game in C# and have made the forms - drawn the tables etc.

But i've recently came to discovering that GDI+ is incredibly slow so i think i might have to program it in DirectX.

Any suggestions as to how to made start this transition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd start with the directX for C# toolkit :)

After that...no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

A few good resources, prob nothing you haven't seen before, but anyway:

GameDev.net - one of the best game developer community sites out there, been around for years,excellent forums, plenty of resources.
    FlipCode - another great game development site, recently became active again. Not as much community/resource stuff as gamedev, but good news updates and a nice "Image of the day" (ie submitted project screenshots) feature.
    DrunkenHyena - some good DirectX resources/tuts here.

And the MSDN, obviously - though apparently the docs for the managed DirectX stuff (the version you'll be using with C#/.NET) aren't fully up to speed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A few good resources, prob nothing you haven't seen before, but anyway:

GameDev.net - one of the best game developer community sites out there, been around for years,excellent forums, plenty of resources.
    FlipCode - another great game development site, recently became active again. Not as much community/resource stuff as gamedev, but good news updates and a nice "Image of the day" (ie submitted project screenshots) feature.
    DrunkenHyena - some good DirectX resources/tuts here.

And the MSDN, obviously - though apparently the docs for the managed DirectX stuff (the version you'll be using with C#/.NET) aren't fully up to speed yet.

Thanks for all them. Some great links! Actually saw none of them before! First time i've programmed a game and all the research i've been doing up until this point has all been GDI+ / C# related.
    bonkey wrote:
    I'd start with the directX for C# toolkit

After that...no clue.

Thanks for that also, bonkey. Hadn't even downloaded that tool yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Good stuff, fair play on getting this far. That GameDev site in particular is a great resource - forums there cover all aspects of game development, very big community, lot of experienced/professional developers there (+ beginners), good atmosphere, well run. That FlipCode one is good for regular news + inspiration - take a look through their Image of the Day archive - some very interesting projects featured there.

In terms of developing with DirectX/C#, far as I know, you'll need the DirectX 9 SDK (latest release was in October). Here's the link. It's a pretty big download btw, but there's an awful lot of stuff in there - the various language SDKs, tools, lots of docs, etc.

You'll be using Manged DirectX if you're going the C#/.NET route - managed code version of the regular stuff. I've never worked with it myself (just a bit of OpenGL), but apparently it's very good develop with - all the usual benefits of C#, only a pretty minor preformance hit.

Advertisement