Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite country?

• 04-11-2004 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

What's your favourite country, besides Ireland, and why?

Mine's France, because of it's great roads, good cheap wine, nice food, good location for holidays, good health care and affordable housing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Hmmm probably Canada for me!....9 different women in 10 days and not one of them did i have to take the initiative! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

has to be ireland only other place i went to is england and i didnt like that place no offence to any english people or anything but i just didnt like your country sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

having not gone very far, id have to say germany. nice, clean and efficiant. friendly folk there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

adode france, for the food wine and people, but have to be away from any cities, small chateau with vineyard in languedoc would be heaven

second choice goes to north italy

third to germany round black forest

pretty anywhere off the beaten track!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

1. Austria - lovely country. All the benefits of Germany but with nicer people.

2. Australia - lovely climate, people and food.

3. Germany - still a great country, but the people can be a bit "stiff". Cheap, efficient, clean, and everything just works the way it's supposed to.

4. US - say what you want about the people, it's still a great country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Definitely Austria. Like Germany but without the work ethic. Beutaiful scenery, beer and women. You can buy fags on the street from vending machines too! They're also placed at a convenient height in case the little ones fancy a smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree with the Germans being a bit stiff. I work with a lot of them, and they seem to live to work, rather than work to live like Irish people.

My favourite country is the united states of New York!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Switzerland. Gorgeous weather in the summer and fantastic snow in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I love both France and Swiss.

Aside: Arizona was an exceptionally beautiful state to travel through, I'd love to go back (maybe in 4+ years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ah France too. So grumpy and surly. Like Teamsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

PH01 wrote:

Mine's France, because of it's great roads, good cheap wine, nice food, good location for holidays, good health care and affordable housing

yep gotta agree.. and the accent.. wow ;)
    other than France I'd say Italy, the food and the scenery 'specially Amalfi Coast.. fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

New Zealand for me.....south island is absolutely gorgeous and the weak exchange rate meant i was able to buy a beer for 60cents at the time!!!! Woo hoo!!!!! :D

oh yeah and the people are nice and know their rugby....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

PH01 wrote:
    Suppose it has to be Austia, because:
    - Great infrastructure (roads, public transport, communications)
    - Good cheap food, beer and wine
    - Great for holidays all year round
    - more or less free healthcare (if you work there)
    - Most of the people are really nice and very friendly (and the wimmen are beautiful*)
    - Insurance is cheap and getting a driving licence is quick and easy
    - It's very safe (well Linz is anyway)
    - Snow, skiing etc (I know it's also sortof a holiday but it's important, ok!)
    - Weather (Sunny summer, Snowy winter, and Irish weather in Spring and Autumn - pretty much like it should be)
    - Location, smack bang in the middle of Europe. Can drive to so many places that are relatively nearby
    ..I could go on, but I won't.
    Landser wrote:
    Definitely Austria. Like Germany but without the work ethic.
    Hey!! I resemble that remark.

* In general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

After Ireland, France.

Germany, Belgium & Italy seem pretty cool also but I'm not as familiar with them as I am with France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Imposter wrote:
    - Location, smack bang in the middle of Europe. Can drive to so many places that are relatively nearby
    ..I could go on, but I won't.

I found that to be one of the best and worst things about Austria when I was living there. Austria is surrounded by 8 countries, and is farily small. I think I travelled to all of them while I was there! Cities like Prague, Budapest and Bratislava are a short train ride from Vienna.
    However, coming from a place like Ireland, or more specifically Dublin, I got a certain sense of claustrophobia there after a while. I missed the sea! I talked to a few ex pats and all felt the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Peoples Republic of Cork ;)
    Uh yeah though, Canada is quite nice... next on my list is France and Japan... can't decide a winner until I've seen the last two for myself tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭In_Diana_Jones

RuggieBear wrote:
    New Zealand for me.....south island is absolutely gorgeous and the weak exchange rate meant i was able to buy a beer for 60cents at the time!!!! Woo hoo!!!!! :D

oh yeah and the people are nice and know their rugby....

Have to agree. I found Auckland to be pants but the south island was incredible. I'd advise Queenstown to anyone as a very cheap and absolutely savage holiday destination. Seriously, the place is quality, especially during their winter when you can go boarding.

Savage.

New Zealand - queenstown in particular is quality.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I liked living in Chicago and I really enjoyed both of my visits to Sweden.

Sweden is class, they get two weeks of proper hot weather and during those two weeks they go buck mad.
    Chicago was just like being on another planet. I love(d) it. Proper big city life. Aww I miss it so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

france for me

had my best ever holiday there

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

romania. i had such a laugh there.. fansastic weather and one night there was themost fantastic Lightingstorm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Probably New Zealand or France.

France have everything right - great healthcare, transport, cheap (and decent) food and wine, people are nice, great scenery, culture, etc.

And New Zealand...well, it just plain rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Of the ones that I've been to, I like Portugal. There's just something nice about the place, and the language is really pretty.
    I really want to go to Japan though.

Advertisement