Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is folding???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

YEP sorry, i just read that now, my bad

Think we should get a boards.ie team together @ http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/individual_list.php?s=????????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i think there is one running on boards alreadly ...one of the guys in computers has a boards folding link in his sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

<F@H team pimp>

Indeedy.

</F@H team pimp>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Indeedy,

I installed folding@home on some of our more powerful office machines. It doesn't make the slightest difference to anyone in the office. It may use a little more electricity, but I reckon it's worth it because of the potential benefits.

I think the seti folding is pointless. ;)

COOL, sounds good, how much cpu % does it use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

It runs at an idle process priority, which basically means that it runs off the scraps of CPU cycles that your other programs aren't using.
    Like if you're sitting there reading a webpage; your CPU usage is going to be rock bottom... lots of cycles available.... folding will use these spare cycles and back off if another process wants them.
    To answer your question though, the amount of CPU usage varies... 0%-100%? - it depends on when you're not using your cpu for anything else... as it's pretty seemless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement