Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mein Kampf, Hitler

Options
  • 06-04-2000 1:15pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't usually find politics very interesting but I was interested in the history behind Hitler so I decided to read this book.
    Anyway, everything was going grand...he seemed like a reasonable enough, well educated young person...UNTIL...at the end of one chapter he just went bonkers!...he started ranting and raving about how the Jews were a plague to the earth and that God had chosen him to rid the world of them...he was of the opinion that if Jews were allowed to live ..then the Earth would disintegrate into a barren lifeless rock hurtling through space..!!

What a looper.

I was so shocked and uninterested after this outburst of pure hate(and waffle)that the book went straight out the window.

..anyone else have a similar reaction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I've read it and found it totally repellent. Because Hitler dictated it to Hess while he (Hitler) was in prison in 1924, it's one of the most rambling, badly written and of course utterly vile books ever.

I had to finish it though - to help get an angle on the psychology of a singularly unique individual. Ghastly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Never read it, not sure I really want to to be honest. I never understood those people who read the books about serial killers either. I mean, I dont put my head in the sand but I also dont want to wallow in evil.
    I guess Mein Kampf falls in between somewhere as its historical significance is undeniable, but it falls into that category of books which catalyse bad things...

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Arky, for a somewhat better account of old Adolf (if you still wish to read one), get The Rise & Fall of the Third Reich, by William Shirer. Very readable, bit of a doorstop mind, at 1000 pages, and the authors personal style is a bit irritating here and there. But at least it's a well-written narrative, and not the garrulous ramblings of a complete lunatic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the info Castor, but since I'm working in Munich at the moment I do not think that it would be advisable to enquire about this kind of literature.Apparently "Mein Kampf" is banned.(You have to be over 18 to play quake also).

Devore, I do not agree with you that a book like this would catalyse bad things, but I see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Eh, It did catalyze things though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement