Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Lights in Dublin

Options
  • 04-11-2004 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know if they have a big do in the city centre to turn on the lights? The lights are up but not on yet and someone told me they make a ceremony out of it when they're turned on. If there is going to be a "turning the lights on thingy" does anyone know when/where?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

dont know... but on grafton st today the decorations were already up.... and its only bloody november!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

There's nothing on dublincity.ie about it yet but press@dublincity.ie could give a definitive. Previous years it's been towards the end of December.

last press release found for 2002 is here

http://www.dublincity.ie/profile/pressr/021122.htm

and they had a bit of a do for it so expect the same again I'm sure.

Yep, it is only November but being in retail in the City myself and running a small business these next 6 or 7 weeks are what carries a business through the lean months of the new year. I don't mind the decorations going up at this time but any shop that starts playing Christmas music before December really gets my goat. Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt started already.... idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flurby

Wow! November 24th! That's late - I know, ethically its not late, but look at Blanchardstown where the decorations went up and music started playing (in the shops) on Monday last!! That's what made me think town might follow soon.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

alleepally wrote:
    I don't mind the decorations going up at this time but any shop that starts playing Christmas music before December really gets my goat. Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt started already.... idiots!

I was working there last year up until new years. The music nearly drove me mad! After a while you start to memorise all the words to the cheesy 80's Christmas songs! (that was when I really started to worry :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I believe it is only the lighting up of the christmas tree on O'Connell street that they have a bit a of a ceremony for.

It's never much of a ceremony anyway... if you're lucky you might get the Lord Mayor and Twink to turn them on....

The standard street lighting is just turned on a bit earlier. They are already on now actually... I like the new sparkly effect on the lights on Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I dunno about "sparkly".. it kind of looks like alarm lights or something!!!

Advertisement