Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comwreck: dsl coverage map; B.O.B award for ComReg; lies

Options
  • 05-11-2004 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all your help and inspiration for the latest comwreck articles. I am always grateful for hints about typos or anything else.
    P.

From the
    Press Release for Comwreck, 2 November 2004

The broadband discussion is finally heating up. As less and less people's eyes glaze over when the words Internet or Broadband are mentioned, our mainstream media begins to examine the mess our regulator has created.

Here are three new articles, and more to come soon:

31 October 2004:
    We hand the B.O.B. award over to Comreg's consumer manager Bobby Hannon. Well deserved and congratulations. Nothing of great importance, just fascinating.
    Direct link to this blog is:
    http://www.comwreck.com/blog_29_oct31.html

1 November 2004:
    Our remake of Steven Soderbergh's legendary "Sex, lies and videotape" contains an explicit SEC quote, lies en masse and even a short videotape of the master of misinformation himself. In the lead role is Eircom's spin-master David McRedmond.
    http://www.comwreck.com/blog_30_nov1.html

2 November 2004:
    We can finally present the map you were not supposed to see: An up-to-date geographic dsl coverage map of Ireland, North and South.
    http://www.comwreck.com/blog_31_nov2.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

31 October 2004:
    We hand the B.O.B. award over to Comreg's consumer manager Bobby Hannon. Well deserved and congratulations. Nothing of great importance, just fascinating.
    http://www.comwreck.com/blog_29_oct31.html

In connection with this issue I've a complaint running with the Broadcasting Complaints Commission.
    Could somebody supply me with either a photo and the text or a recording of (even just with a digital photo camera from the tele) one of the advertisements of Irish Psychics Live or one of the Chat lines on RTE or TV3?
    I can't currently receive those channels. (Another achievement of our DCMNR, that you'd have to pay Mr Rupert M. if you want to get our national TV stations in certain areas)
    Please mail to "info at eircomtribunal.com"; would be urgent.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Irish psychics is a 15 number and comes under Regtel rules , http://www.regtel.ie/ I woulda thought. Comwreck may need TLC BTW :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I am totally and utterly sick to the stomach after seeing that map of Ireland with the BB coverage. I had no idea... Utterly appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

We can finally present the map you were not supposed to see: An up-to-date geographic dsl coverage map of Ireland, North and South.
    North coloured orange could be construed as a bit ... political
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Wow - those latest comwreck articles are fantastic! More power to you! Didn't see any ads for Irish Psychics live on rte or tv3 - does it have to be that one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

nahdoic wrote:
    Wow - those latest comwreck articles are fantastic! More power to you! Didn't see any ads for Irish Psychics live on rte or tv3 - does it have to be that one?
    Any ad with the notice, calls cost € xxx on it will do. Have they stopped doing the ads for those chat lines? Where does Mr Psychics live get the customers to pay for his yacht nowadays?

The whole thing is about the following issue: RTE and Eircom Directory Inquiry are circumventing the Comreg ruling that from 1 October all DQ "advertising and promotion" has to make the customer aware of the price of the service (or at least give a number, free or local call fee, where the customer can ask for the price), by trying to hide behind the Broadcasting Sponsorship guidelines, which say about sponsorship "stings", like the 11811 sting wrapped around the national weather forecast:

In general: Sponsorship must not be advertising

And specifically:
    • Credits may however be programme related and may also include product use
    • Credits should not equate to calls to purchase products or services, therefore the inclusion of prices of sales promotions is prohibited

In my mind the 11811 Weather "sponsorship" equates to calls to purchase a service (If you need a number in a hurry, call 11811) and is advertising, with no difference to the Premium Service Number advertising. Just as in PSN advertising the RegTel rules about including a "calls cost xx per minute" notice apply, in the DQ advertising the Comreg rules about including pricing info should apply.

While I have made these arguments and will make them again to rebuff RTE's response, I just thought it'll be nice to contrast the 11811 sting with a Premium Service Number advertising, for visual effects.

P.

Advertisement