Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimax

• 05-11-2004 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So - I'm hearing about some new wireless technology (WiMax?) which has a theoritical limit of x500 current DSL, and is apparently being implemented in Ireland next year.

Can anyone clarify a few questions for me please?

1) What is it?
    2) What are the realistic implementation options?
    3) Who is doing it here in Ireland and when?
    4) What are the likely costs
    5) Any drawbacks?

Thanks in advance.

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

c0y0te wrote:
    Try Google?
    HTH,
    Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Irish broadband will be using it for intel's plant out in leixlip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

c0y0te wrote:
    So - I'm hearing about some new wireless technology (WiMax?) which has a theoritical limit of x500 current DSL, and is apparently being implemented in Ireland next year.

1) What is it?
    2) What are the realistic implementation options?
    3) Who is doing it here in Ireland and when?
    4) What are the likely costs
    5) Any drawbacks?

Thanks in advance.

c0y0te
    1) Non-line of sight wireless network connection (think WiFi on steroids, with extra long range and higher speeds)
    2) None yet, but as tck said, Intel/NTR are doing something - see last Friday's Irish times for the full details
    3) See 2)
    4) it will of course be more expensive that Wifi, but prices will drop as soon as the likes of Intel start making chipsets for it.
    5) None that I can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

digiweb reckon they will have 50% of Ireland covered with WIMax in the first half of 2005.

Advertisement