Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming books

Options
  • 15-04-2000 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

I got a present of one for my birthday. Id just like to recommend it to any would be internet programmers. It covers HTML, XML and Java, all up to fate versions.
    Its called...
    Using HTML4, XML, and Java 1.2
    Rather apt name dont you think?
    It is sold with a cd with all the software you need also. Fair enuff, HTML is grand and ez without any book (loadsa online help anyway) and XML I wouldnt be too worried about just yet, but if its scripts ya want (cgi or whatever) then this is yer man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

sounds good - but what year was it published? You go into vibes and scribes and you get loads of brand new heavy computer books for £5 or £10, but they're all from 1996

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Vibes and scribes 0wNs!!

Ever hear of micromail?They have some really good software and books.They're in an industrial estate on bishop street.
    http://www.micromail.com

-=20-40=-
    2040.gibworld.com

[ I've just corrected the worst spelling mistake i've made in my life frown.gif

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 15-04-2000).]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The problem with computer books like that is that they have a half-life, :}, of about 12 months. The best books should try and explain the thought behind both the coding and what it is to be a programmer.
    "Code Complete" by Steve McConnell, alot of people at work have it somewhere in their cubes.
    "Programming Perls " by Bently, vg intro to algorithms.
    "Soul of a new machine", by Kidder
    "Show Stopper" by Zachary,
    "Accidental Empires" by Cringely
    "Hackers" by Levy
    are more the social aspects.

Btw - both Micromail and Vibes/Scribes good bookshops but the former's staff more informed while the latter has a good 2nd hand SciFi/Fan section.

so you're from cork aswell manach? smile.gif

-=20-40=-
    2040.gibworld.com

[Another one - What's wrong with me? frown.gif]

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 15-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Micromail has to be the best!
    Vibes is ****e unless you want a book on "Learning Internet Explorer for Dickheads"

Go for O'Reilly books when you can. http://www.oreilly.com
    Especially if you want to learn Perl.

BTW Anyone read that Jakob Neilsen book on Web Useability yet? It looks pretty good but the price (£45) ewwww...

Oh and they have that book on pragmatic programming in Waterstones in Cork if anyones looking for it. Looks like one of those books with a good shelf life.

Karla

• Advertisement

2040 - the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Where in The County?

County 2040? biggrin.gif

-=20-40=-
    2040.gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Ye back to the book.
    Its actually VERY thorough.
    A hardback, about the same size as a pc game box, and costs £75 in easons.
    And it really doesnt have a short halflife.
    HTML will be around for quite a while longer (in some similiar format anyway) and Java, although constantly being updates, once you know the basics, updates are simple to learn the new stuff (relatively).

Palidan - best of luck with the book. It's just I find you can quickly pile up a series of titles about DOS, Win 3.x or early Visual C++ etc which were relevant to study/work once but are now so much dust accumalators.
    - Illkillya; From Mallow but work in Cork.

• Advertisement

/me glances at shelf with "ez quick basic","pascal""delphi4"etc smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

lads,
    have any of ye read any books in electronic format? i have bout a gig of them. Most programming languages covered....
    if yer looking for a book i can dcc ir ta ya or burn some 4 ya...

VB for idiots would be nice smile.gif
    Ill get back to ya in a month or two when I have Java n cgi scripts n stuff mastered.
    Tnx 4 the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

no problem
    yA thre a good few vb ones
    dont suppose u know perl??
    me have a problem with a script...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

lob the perl onto the tech board - someone will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dont write off Pascal paladin, its still being taught in quite a lot of places as an introductory language smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Only because it was written as a teaching language for C smile.gif

All this Begin and End stuff... doesn't make sense!!! It should be { and } - SQUIRLEYS ALL THE WAY BABY!!! cool.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

Advertisement