Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The famous five

Options
  • 16-04-2000 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Ok then. I admit it. I read ALL of them. I bury my head in shame at my pre-pubescient addiction to simplistic happy end adventure.
    But I must say, that along with Roald Dahl, it was Enid Blyton that started me on the road to being semi literit (<----note the pun)

And Ill bet that quite a few ppl had the same start I had.
    (I wouldnt touch those books with a barge pole now btw. I tend to read for knowledge or entertainment, and these just dont do it smile.gif)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

My favourite one was the one where they all run away and live on an island together.
    "five run away together" or something like that.
    The third in the series, I think. smile.gif
    hehehe.
    They were good books. When I was wee, anyway. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

twas "the secret Island", i had a 3 in 1, secret island, secret mountain, and secret of Higgly caves or something... anyway, did you ever see the Comic Strip Five go Mad in Dorset? That was hilarious

yeah, that was very funny.
    And just like the books. smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The famous five and the secret seven were POOFS.

I was mad into the 3 Detectives (if I recall correctly). I often wondered why they were always odd numbers...

Roald Dahl was much more my taste tho, kind dark at time....

Favourite book from childhood must be "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" the little known follow on from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If you get a chance, read it its a good argument against the legalisation of LSD.

(Charlies family head into space to fight the Vermicous Knids in the great glass elevator, the grand parents take too many Get Young Pills and one of them ends up in negative years and has to be rescued from the place where babies come from. I'm not making this up either! smile.gif )

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Gees dev. U remember it all with such clarity smile.gif
    I read all those R.D. books.
    Personal favourite was going solo. It was the most grown up of his books.
    A close second was revolting rhymes. If I can get my hands on them ill try and post a few. Some real classics there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to read lots of sh!te ...

Lots of enid blyton crap
    The Hardy Boys
    etcetera

And I used to read some good stuff, like Dahl's books smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

for a while i was reading 4 hardy boy books in a weekend, but the best books i only got when i was 11. They were Redwall books by Brian Jacques, about fighting woodland creatures and stuff. they were cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There was something about the tomboy and that dog she had in the Famous Five books that struck me as distinctly dodgy smile.gif

loved that documentary about Blyton that was on a couple of years ago which showed she hated kids and was a complete fascist. When one of her servants was in hospital she sent him a bowl of fruit - when he got out he found she had deducted the cost of the fruit from his next months wages...

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Dalh was great for warping impressionable young minds like mine wink.gif

Draco

Roald Dahl: wasn't he a Nazi or something?
    I liked Matilda the best. Tried to move things with my mind for ages afterwards. Didn't work, unfortunately. His books were always really good too.
    I had loads of great books when I was wee, but as most of you seem to be male you probably won't have read a lot of them. A generalisation, I know, but probably- unfortunately- true. There was usually a boarding school/rich girl theme to them all, which made me and my friends want to have "midnight feasts" all of the time.
    OK, not all of the time, but occasionally at midnight. wink.gif
    Again, if you haven't read anything like Malory Towers, then you probably won't get that.
    Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

My Personal favorite was Five go to Billy**** hill, hehe.

Metal chicken, the book that you refer to was Five go to Kirrin island..and I distinctly remember that Uncle Quentin(Aunt Fanny, hehe) left the door to the light house open...well locked but the key was in
    the door.

Timothy was some dog for one dog.

I used to love the way that Anne would always say "dosen't food always taste better outside?".She was a fine bit of stuff.

THe famous five were the l33t Ha><><0r5 of their time.

anyone ever read the secret seven..some rip off of the funky 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

The best childhood books were either

1/ The Narnia Trilogy ( The Lion the witch and the woredrobe,.....etc)

2/ Roald Dahl Books (all)

3/ Most of the Michael Scott ones. They were absolutely brilliant. Favourites were the earthlord, windlord series

4/ When I was about 10/11 I got my hands on some classically good books by Robin Jarvis. They were about these mice and their struggle against the rats/cats. I cried in the last one in the series cos one mouse died to save his friends and let the revolution live on. sob sob...

tct

eek.gif

I'm a bicycle!!

In all seriousness....the greatest place on earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

wasn't there one with 3 blokes who had there "detective base" in a scrap yard, and they knew alfred hitch**** or summit?
    i think i remember reading a few of those(if i didnt just imagine them)
    but i have got 5 famous five books(still) and i read loads of the secret seven. but i graduated to reading agatha christie and stephen king pretty quickly(like 13)

"Damn."
    wHiTe-TrAsH.cjb.net

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

that was hitchc.ock btw

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yeah, I remember those detecive books...think they were called the Three Dectectives or something...never had the same ring as the Hardy boys tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Anne was a tart, George rocked, Julian and Dick (JULIAN AND DICK?!?!!?!?!?) were of course queer and well Timmy was a dog. The Malory Towers series was much better!

Advertisement