Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed limit on the Naas road

• 05-11-2004 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

What is the speed limit when you come off the M50 and ono the Naas road heading towards town (not naas)??? I ask this because i came off the M50 the other day and a truck was showering me with bits of debris, worried for my car and safety once i got on the naas road i overtook it (3 or 4 lanes and no cars at that time) so i get up to 50 to get past it, i guess he was doing 40 and we were both going in the same lane to get to the nangor road i guess... anyway I did not notice any speed limits so i assumed 40 or 50... further down the road a bus pulls out of the bus stop and a lone white van is there... i have a horrible feeling but yes i was right.. it was a gatso van so does anyone know what the speed limit is as i may very well have broken it, got caught and can expect a fine and points now even though there was nothing to say what it was...

anyway Yesterday i noticed someone putting up signs for a 30mph limit at the red cow roundabout but not sure if that is just the roundabout or the whole road..

I wonder how many people have been killed on that road.. hmmm no one maybe?? so why do they insist on trying to catch people out.. that whole naas road ahs random speed limits from 30 to 60mph and most of it is a nice big wide 3 or 4 lane road. They should be on singe lane country roads where people die!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

That stretch of the road is 30mph I'm afraid. The 30mph zone stretches from just before Newlands Cross, (near the exit for the Green Isle Hotel), to the city centre, (travelling from Naas direction to City Centre) (there is a zone of 50mph near Island Bridge / Kilmainham afaik too).
    The reason it's 30mph is because there's lots of exits and entry points along that stretch for the industrial areas. There are also a few scattered residential areas left over from when the area was a rural backwater.

Unfortunately there have been many accidents and quite a few people killed in that area. You find a lot of muppets running accross the road trying to get into the Red Cow and in the small hours of the night you will see many people staggering out of the nightclub there, wandering into the path of the traffic trying to hail taxis.

IMO the Naas Road is pretty fair with the speed zones. They tend to have the limited zones on areas that are known for accidents, eg. at the Esso garage at Blackchurch, at Johnstown and also the Red Cow Roundabout.
    The Naas Road is a notorious race track and there's always horrible accidents on it. I hate driving it tbh, but I have to if I want to visit my brother. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Have to disagree kermette

From newlands cross to the Red cow is a 40mph zone, as is the Naas road down as far the kylemore road. was on it this morning and saw the signs, not that you could get over 40 with the traffic

Jeez, that's only new so. I live quite near there and afaik that bit has been 30mph for a very long time. Lots of people must have complained it was to restrictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Nuttzz wrote:
    Have to disagree kermette

From newlands cross to the Red cow is a 40mph zone, as is the Naas road down as far the kylemore road. was on it this morning and saw the signs, not that you could get over 40 with the traffic
    Sorry, your actually incorect. The speed limit around the Red Cow roundabount and the stretch down as far as the kylemore road is a 30Mph zone. There are no signs informing you of a 40 mph limit on the stretch from the red cow roundabout down to the kylemore road. When you come off the M50 you are informed that you are entering a 30 mph zone.

Hobart wrote:
    Sorry, your actually incorect. The speed limit around the Red Cow roundabount and the stretch down as far as the kylemore road is a 30Mph zone. There are no signs informing you of a 40 mph limit on the stretch from the red cow roundabout down to the kylemore road. When you come off the M50 you are informed that you are entering a 30 mph zone.
    Yeah! That's true. I KNEW I was right.

Maybe you won't get anything in the post Saruman. I've speeded past those things many times and only realised after the fact and I've never gotten a ticket. Hopefully you'll be lucky. Fingers and eyes crossed for ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thanks.. with any luck they are more testing the speed limit etc.. i can only hope anyway. anyone know are they taking video or photos? If they review it they may see im overtaking a truck and then slow down.

Never noticed a 30mph coming off the M50 though... Does not mean its not there just i did not see it. I did see it on the roundabout though... i should point out i came from the toll bridge side where it goes up a slip road and you dont go on the roundabout.

Saruman wrote:
    Never noticed a 30mph coming off the M50 though... Does not mean its not there just i did not see it. I did see it on the roundabout though... i should point out i came from the toll bridge side where it goes up a slip road and you dont go on the roundabout.
    Yep, there is a 30mph sign on that slip road.
    I've no idea if they use video or just regular cameras.
    I presumed that all those portable speed trap thingies were cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

When you come off the m50 onto that slip road there is a 40mph speed sign, 500mts up that slip road, on the bend, there is a 30mph sign. They take photo's btw. They have moved from the naas side of the naas road (they used to be parked between the red cow roundabout and newlands) because of building works going on there. They are a complete shower of **** as the only reason they are parking there is to catch unsuspecting drivers. I have been driving along this stretch of raod for years and I have yet to see a single car crash before the naas rd kylemore road cross roads.

i have been driving there for years and always thought it was 40, i have never seen a 30 sign after the red cow, surprised (and thankful) i havent seen mr gatso van out there, 30 mph is very slow for a 3 lane road inst it?

Hobart wrote:
    I have been driving along this stretch of raod for years and I have yet to see a single car crash before the naas rd kylemore road cross roads.
    I live in that area and I've seen a number of fender benders, especially at the Longmile Road junction, (even more now that it's been turned into a spaghetti junction). The fatalities have usually been cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians. Check out the crosses and bunches of flowers on the railings at the side of the road and also tied to lamp posts, traffic lights and street signs.
    There's usually some little memorial somewhere along there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've driven that road lots of times and always thought it was 40. I've never see n the 30 sign on it. Hope it all works out for Saruman anyway, those Gatsos are a right bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nuttzz wrote:
    30 mph is very slow for a 3 lane road inst it?
    Westmoreland Street is a four (maybe 5?) lane road - should it be 50+mph?

Number of lanes has nothing to do with speed limit. The Naas Road isn't a motorway with limited access and grade separated junctions. It has pedestrians, bus stops and traffic lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

Happened to me lasy tear only saw the van parked down at the breakers yard on left at last minute, thought it was 40 and drove back that way to check i out. didnt rec anything in post (was about 8 months ago!. Here's hoping for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Nuttzz wrote:
    i have been driving there for years and always thought it was 40

yea once you get points on your license you'll notice speed limits much better, believe me. Coming off the m50 onto the naas road, headling into Town is defiantly a 30 zone. Same in the opposite direction. There are 30 zone poles, you cant miss them if you look, one coming out of town, before the new petrol garage.

I feel like a nuisance when I’m going at 35 on that road, everyone.. even the grannies fly past me FFS !!! Does anyone know it’s a 30 zone but me ??

Victor wrote:
    Westmoreland Street is a four (maybe 5?) lane road - should it be 50+mph?

Number of lanes has nothing to do with speed limit. The Naas Road isn't a motorway with limited access and grade separated junctions. It has pedestrians, bus stops and traffic lights.

3 lanes in each direction for about a mile :rolleyes: have you driven there? there is a big difference between driving on westmoreland st and driving on the naas road, 40 mph would be acceptable IMO, A chap in SDCC tells me the limit is been increased during the move to kph, we will wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Did the same journey there on Friday to take a look.. sure enough there is a 40mph sign on the slip lane that then becomes a 30mph jone.. never noticed.. i think i never noticed because of the fact no one obeys it.. anyway i did 32 - 35 that time and everything was flying past me and overtaking and i felt like one of those people i hate on a 60mph road doing 30....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I taught it was a 40mph zone :confused: Usually do about 40-45mph when I'm heading home from Dublin. 30mph is too slow for that road, 40mph seems ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

had my camera with me today:

30zone.jpg

Thats heading out of town towards the big messy junction. There's no other speed pole's so it has to be 30 all the way to the m50 roundabout

Advertisement