Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 / N11 Link Road

Options
  • 05-11-2004 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

I heard on the news yesterday that a new road has opened linking the M50 to the N11.

Does anyone know where the turn off is? Is it right at the end?

Im going that way on Saturday and am not sure whether to take the usual Ballyboden exit and go through Rathfarnham, Stepaside and Enniskerry.

I heard on the radio that the traffic was so bad that the cops had to go out and direct it!

Anyone used this road yet?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

You just drive right to the end of the motorway. Went that way this morning - got there around 8.30 and it was pretty bad, they need to get traffic lights there pronto. I'd say it should be fine on a Saturday though. You just go to the end of the motorway to a roundabout, head straight for the N11 and Robert's your auntie's husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

So now I'm wondering..
    I live in Santry, a few minutes from the M50. I regularly drive to Wexford..

Would people

a) take the M50, and then the N11

or

b) Cut across to the Eastlink, head out the Rock road, and take a right to the N11..(this is what I have been doing)

jd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Traffic on the Leopardstown roundabout this morning was crazy....the M50 extension has just moved all the traffic from Sandyford Ind Est on to the Leopardstown Road.
    The roundabout this morning @ 8 looked more like a car park

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I haven't experienced this new road but it sounds like it would be handier to get off at the ballinteer juncion, go thru dundrum and benefit from the reduced traffic that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Looks like Il take the normal Ballyboden route for the time being so =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

jd wrote:
    So now I'm wondering..
    I live in Santry, a few minutes from the M50. I regularly drive to Wexford..

Would people

a) take the M50, and then the N11

or

b) Cut across to the Eastlink, head out the Rock road, and take a right to the N11..(this is what I have been doing)

jd

The Eastlink way is much quicker than the Ballyboden/Enniskerry way for definite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

I wouldn't go by Enniskerry, but whether to take the M50 would depend on the time of day (ie expected conditions at WestLink and Leopardstown vs. expected time through town).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

narommy wrote:
    I haven't experienced this new road but it sounds like it would be handier to get off at the ballinteer juncion, go thru dundrum and benefit from the reduced traffic that way?

TBH it doesn't make much difference. The Leapordstown road is all backed up now until you get to the roundabout and then it's straight onto the M50 (almost!) - one lane before that is what causes the bother.

The Dundrum route is what I use personally (left under the Luas bridge and then a right at the top to join the Long March to the other roundabout.

Both entrances basically are single lanes with a roundabout controlling onflow to the main route. This is called bollocks design and serves nobody well. A freeflow from Leapordstown to the M50 run in would be better than that bloody roundabout. Mostly the holdup is cross traffic from 2 routes and a hesitant driver.

I wonder what it's like when the schools are shut, as that seems to have a big bearing on traffic in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wonder what it's like when the schools are shut, as that seems to have a big bearing on traffic in the area.

My wife does the trip from Bray to Leopardstown Business Park every day. On a good day in the summer when the school run isn't running it can be a 20 minute run, on a "normal" school day anything up to 40 minutes, and when a single spot of rain falls, or in the lead up to Xmas it can easily take an hour, or in exceptional cases even longer ... for a journey of 10 miles :) I should add that we live pretty close to the N11, so the time taken to get onto it is quite small.

Basically she usually gets a straight run through past Loughlinstown and Cherrywood, and then it's just a case of when the traffic stops which can be as far back as Cornelscourt. It's the roundabout at Leopardstown that's the hold-up as you say. Now if they'd made both Leopardstown Road and Brewery Road one-way (in opposite directions) as was the original plan it would have made things on the roundabout a lot easier, but there's a lot of South County Dublin money speaking around that area ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

It's certainly helped me....I leave work at 8pm (Cabinteely) to travel down to Kildare and the new extension has taken 10 minutes off my journey home, pretty much the same in the morning cos I start at 7:45.

• Advertisement
Advertisement