Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philosophy

Options
  • 14-04-2000 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

socrates.
    i mean heis still the basis of so many debates...

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Einstein. Tell me relativity isnt philosophy in action.

Not Freud, who just needed a good shag.

Dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

boy do i get a pleasure out of this subject.
    so lets talk about the great philosophers, who do you admire, who do you hate, is it a ridiculous task to leave your rationale in complete control?
    i posted this on the book boards 'cause we're polite here and there are few if any pictures of sarah mchelle gelllar.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

If a stealth bomber crashed into a forest and nobody was around to hear it, would it make a noise?

Do bald ppl get hairline fractures?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

1. For the best answer to how many Angels (non-Buffy related) can dance on the head of a pin, see "Good Omens" by Prachett and Gaiman.

2. St Aquinas for original post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Good Omens r0><0rs! (token l33t 5p33|< )

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Aquinas Manach, that is a strange choice. Educate me to some of his good points?

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Educate - to quote Homer (J. Simpson) it was a choice by default.
    Firstly, I plead guilty for trying to be too clever by half /hang head in shame/. The main part of my brilliant discourse on philosophy was plugging "Good Omens", miseria mei.
    Secondly, If I had to choose a saint it really should have been St. Lucy the Patron of opticians. Her plaster statutette depiction with her eyes on a plate, has always moved me to emotion, hysterical laughter.
    Thirdly, St Aquinas is the only philosopher whose biography I have ever read, written by GK Chesterton. I could not give you a definite account of his thoughts, runs into 30 vols, other than he was a defender of Aristotle's viewpoint, and he wrote the Summa Theologica which is used as a summary of Church theology. So why choose him, because of the manner of man he was, a good one.
    Is mise the Strange One, (which was weirdly alike to my school nick-name)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Personally I love Karl Popper. His theories make sh!t of the scientific method. E.g. if 5 white swans come round a bend in a river, what's to say the next will not be black? Maybe the chances are... but that's not proof. Ergo reproducing something scientifically does not mean this will alway be the case.

There's lots more, all very interesting. There's a small paper-back called "Popper" (I think) which is quite readable, not too heavy for the light-weights out there smile.gif!

Recommended. Great for annoying know-it-alls with some fairly simple ideas.

Al.

Advertisement