Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do films become DVDs?

• 05-11-2004 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

How do films become DVDs? I'm still gobsmacked that Mise Éire appears not to be available on either video or DVD, and am wondering how exactly DVDs happen.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd hazard a guess at the dvd fairy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Standard films shot on film are scanned using extremely high quality optical equipment into a digital format prior to special effects.
    Once the special effects and editiing is complete the digital film is converted back to film for cinemas.
    The digital version is refined to become a dvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I thought it was the tooth fairy ad libbing as the DVD fairy myself.

STUPID BLOODY QUESTION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

luckat wrote:
    How do films become DVDs? I'm still gobsmacked that Mise Éire appears not to be available on either video or DVD, and am wondering how exactly DVDs happen.

I suppose different companies have DVD rights for different films and that they make estimates which films will sell best on DVD and release them in that format.

I think Mise Éire would be quite successful both in Ireland and with people of Irish descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Except in a very few cases (like the new Star Wars films) there is no digital version of a film - a DVD is made by scanning a completed print. Some companies are less good at cleaning the print than others, and you can occasionally see hairs and dirt on your DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Well, I really meant "are there companies that do this, and how does it happen for historical films?" - but thanks for the explanation about the DVD fairy; it does explain the technical end for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's mainly down to the studios, if they think it will make money they'll release it.
    Of course it depends on who it is. George Lucas held back on releasing Star Wars and Indiana Jones for ages.

The gap between cinema release and dvd release is narrowing all the time, so they can make more money out of the film and try to circumvent pirating. Shrek 2 is out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. When was Mise Éire released...1959... should be out any day now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

luckat wrote:
    Hmm. When was Mise Éire released...1959... should be out any day now.

Yes!
    I can see a massive market for it, certainly going to be worth every penny t convert it to DVD

Shrek 2 is out already
    A DVD Rip of this emerged 2 weeks after its cinema release in the US .
    Amazing to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Any video copying/editing outfit should be able to make you a DVD from a VHS copy, but it will be expensive.
    I'm not sure, but I think the going rate is about 85 euro per hour of tape, which is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A DVD Rip of this emerged 2 weeks after its cinema release in the US .
    Amazing to be honest.
    Not that amazing.
    I saw this film before it came out here.
    I don't think it will affect piracy too much by narrowing the time between cinema release and dvd release.
    Piracy will find a way........ :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Makaveli wrote:
    Of course it depends on who it is. George Lucas held back on releasing Star Wars and Indiana Jones for ages.

The gap between cinema release and dvd release is narrowing all the time, so they can make more money out of the film and try to circumvent pirating. Shrek 2 is out already.
    'course now the mickey mouse act was passed extending copyright by 20 years there no much chance of Snow White getting re-released. Also they get more revenue from rentals than from box-office for a lot of films.

It depends on the copyright owners, if they want to sit on the rights or whatever. Me I'm upset at the way when a film gets covered by Hollywood the original sorta disappears especially if it is better than the copy. Still haven't seen the original Maverick

Disney are gobshítes.
    I think Toy Story and 2 have been pulled so they can be re-released in a few years.

Not that amazing
    A DVD quality release so close to a cinema release is extremely rare.
    Only other film this year that had one was Alfie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Makaveli wrote:
    Disney are gobshítes.
    I think Toy Story and 2 have been pulled so they can be re-released in a few years.
    AFAIK neither is OOP. They're certainly both available from play.com (as is the limited edition double pack with the extra disc)

Yeah checked after I posted and they're both available.
    There certainly was a time this year or last year anyway where they were no longer available.

Advertisement