Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Used Car - Mileage Concern + Independent Car Check

Options
  • 05-11-2004 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at buying a Ford Focus 1.4, 2000,2001 depending on what I find + budget. Just wondering what the current views are on mileage. Ideally lowest but if it starts to hit 70K to 80K should I really care. Is it as important as it used to be?

Also do you know if the AA offer a car check service to non members or is there a list of independent mechanics who would be available to do a car check for me for peace of mind. I expect to find something here in Cork but
    if a good deal shows up I would travel to get it. And what would people charge for this service?

Thanks in advance,

Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Have a look at the Motoring section in the Buy and Sell - there are loads of adds for mechanics who will look at the car for you.

I got one done last year for €50 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My own personal opinion is that condition is more important than mileage. Very low mileage cars are often best avoided as they will often just have been used for very short journeys meaning lots of cold starts, stopping and starting in traffic etc... The best kind of mileage to have on a car is cruising between 50 and 70 in 5th gear on the open road. Buying something with 70 - 80k on the clock, you should factor in the cost of changing the timing belt for piece of mind unless you're buying from a garage and they're doing it as part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree with alias about high mileage vs low mileage and the importance of condition. If a high mileage car has had lots of long journeys on good roads, has been properly serviced (with a service history) and hasn't been thrashed then it could be a very good bet. This type of driving is quite easy on the car - brakes, clutches, gearboxes, engines and exhausts all have an easy life.

But as already mentioned, a high mileage car may be coming up to a timing belt change so the cost for that should be taken into account as should the cost of replacing wheel bearings which tend to go on a lot of cars at around 90-100k.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

A compression test would be no harm on higher mileage cars too,always check out bushings and trackrod ends along with the parts mentioned above these are all parts which would go on higher mileage cars too!
    I myself have no problem buying a higher mileage car once its well maintaned and has a reasonable service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

just to let ya know the 1.4 focus is fairly underpowered due the weight of the car,, might be worth looking into a 1.6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CMcCar78

Thanks all for the replies.

What is a compression test by the way?

On the engine size I'm going for the 1.4 to reduce Tax and Insurance costs.

Thanks again,

Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Make sure you get an independant mechanic to check it out for you. I know a guy once who bought a car on the recomendation of a mechanic who turned out to be getting a commission - the gearbox went inside a month. The dealer did replace it for him though.

I wouldn't be too bothered about mileage. What the mechanic says about the condition of the car is far more important.

Advertisement