Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden facing??

Options
  • 05-11-2004 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hi all, probably a stupid question but why is it so desirable to have a south facing rear garden ? and can you tell me the difference between north,south ,east and west facing gardens ?..........i am a ftb and need to know this before i buy as im told it is very important..

many thanks for advice :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I can't figure it out really. I think is is something made up by auctioneers to make up for the fact that the front of the house is facing north.

Seriously though it would allow you to put on a conservatory to the rear.
    I'd prefer if my main living areas are facing south and forget about the garden. (But it does help when reselling)

That's my view on the matter and I'll wait to see what other people post and i'll review my view then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

seph wrote:
    hi all, probably a stupid question but why is it so desirable to have a south facing rear garden ? and can you tell me the difference between north,south ,east and west facing gardens ?..........i am a ftb and need to know this before i buy as im told it is very important..

mmm, because the sun rises in the east, spends most of the day southerly, and sets in the west.

Basicly a south facing (garden or window) will get more sunlight, particularly in built up areas, where gardens are likely to be iver shadowed.

A westerly facing is pretty good too, as you get the evening sun, which is when you are more likely to be around the house.

Depending on the situation it can be very important. In my case my south facing balcony gets a lot of use as it's in the sun, whereas my north facing terrace is rarely sunny, so i rarely bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

seph wrote:

it's all to do with the sun position.
    South facing gardens get the sun all day here in the northern hemisphere
    South west is the best as it gets the sun most of the day and all evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

My 1st house had north facing back garden, while its not the end of the world. Its pretty chilly in the shade in springtime and can get a bit damp! I wouldnt worry to much, I havent heard of anyone unless they are a mad gardener or sun worshipper being massivly put off a house if not S or SW facing garden.

Like was said before if you wanted to put a conservatory up its actually meant to be unwise to put south facing as can be too warm hence the need for mad blinds etc They reccommend westerly I think due to evening sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

If you have kids then it is helluva lot nicer to be playing in the sun, then in a chilly shaded garden.

Lot less choice of plants etc to grow in a north facing garden.

Also becoming more important these days is passive solar gain, ie. the amount of free heating you get from the sun in your house outside of the summer months. If the rooms you spend most time in are located against the rear south facing side, then they will get heat energy from the low winter sun and help cut your heating bills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also means you can get satellite TV - BBC for free :)

Advertisement