Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Brains Think.

Options
  • 03-05-2000 10:36pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought this book because it had an unbelievable immodest title but its actually a good read.

For those of you interested in humanity and where we are going and what makes us think the way we do I highly recommend it

I'll post the isbn number when I get home.

Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This isn't How The Mind Works by Steven Pinker is it? That was a good ol read. Mind you his opening sentence in the preface is 'we don't really know how the mind works' so that kinda buggered the ending for me smile.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

doesn't it seem very odd that a book on "brains" was written by "pinker" (or pinky to his friends)

does this remind anyone of 2 lab mice with a world domination plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

aye, that sounds like an interesting read, I wouldn't mind getting a read of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well get down to yer local bookshop and buy a copy of it then, it's in the region of a tenner or so.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Nope, its How Brains Think by William H Calvin.

ISBN: 0-297-81639-X

Some really clever theories on how speech and "intelligence" are more closely intertwined then we realise to date.
    Something echoed by Orwells 1984 with his idea of doublespeak. How if you cant say it you cant think it etc...

Still prefer The Selfish Gene but thats something of a tougher read...

Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Brains, pshaw.
    Just finished "Survival of the Prettiest" -
    which describes the evolution path of beauty and it's perceptions to the present day. It wryly shows how far we go to maintain our social facades.

Advertisement