Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See below for details :)

Options
  • 25-04-2000 11:15pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm playing with adding news headlines into the separate areas. I've chosen Books as my guinea pig (sorry, but I'm likely to get an intelligent response here).

Look at the bottom of each page and tell me what you think... Once we get it right here, I'm going to add them to all the forums.

Something doesnt quite sit right with them right now (apart from the colour) but i dunno what can be done with them...Opinions?

Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, that's a great feature smile.gif
    I don't know how it'd work with some of the other boards though. (For Sale, Work)

I'd also like to see more adds.
    Maybe yiz' could get a nice javascript that would force people to click on a series of banners before every post. smile.gif
    </p!ss-take>

[KBT][-PEL-]DEAD-D3M0N-SANTA

the grotto

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Good idea, but it doesn't look right where they are at the moment.

Draco

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Um Dead??? Its not like their are ads or spam.... this IS the books board, and its info on books... (unless you were being serious with the first part and funny with the second smile.gif )

I like the idea of multiple layers of ads before getting to the boards ...hmmmmm.... how not to be lynched is the problem...

Draco, yeah, they look gay there, but I dunno where else to put them frown.gif I'm gonna play with a few options ...

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

cool idea.
    I reckon they'd do better somewhere else though - the bottom of the page seems wrong somehow.
    what about at the top of the page - you could scroll them to avoid taking up too much room ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

How's about adding the stuff to the "Read Ireland" letterbox thing on the main forum page - that's a newsy bit isnt it?

<edit>
    Just clicked on the Letterbox thingy and got lots of nasty Java-Script errors frown.gif
    </edit>

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 26-04-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You rad my mind, but it has a few errors in the code. We're sorting them out now...

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

erm, i cant see anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahh, my eyes have been opened smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

spot on dev.....nice one......AGAIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Its a bit hard to notice them.Maybe a move?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Perhaps if it was a slaller font text and put into another table column alongside the New Topic link & co. ?

Yeah, I've been thinking something like that... the problem is that you dont get that sort of control with UBB. There are only certain places you can put html...

The announcements area would have been perfect but it complains about Javascript errors for some reason...

I'm going to have a think about it... but any more ideas are welcome...

DeV.

... (unless you were being serious with the first part and funny with the second )
    Yeah, sorry about that... I must have missed the opening <p!ss-take> tag.

I like where it is at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Great idea Dev but i would put the headlines on the left just under "A Closed thread" and move the "Contact Us | boards.ie " and the power by bit to the right, well just a thought. so that there on the same level as each other instaed on one on top of the other.
    Coyote

I wish I could :/
    The problem is that UBB only allows you to put html in certain places. I'm toying with the ldea of putting it up top but I think it will suck.

Everything in UBB seems to be centre justified and piled on top of each other rather then in columns.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore:
    Everything in UBB seems to be centre justified and piled on top of each other rather then in columns.

So I noticed. Tried messin with yer html yesterday for a while to see If I could make the layout I was suggesting. I got fed up and put it down to my lack of knowledge of script smile.gif

Their's always the option of editing/re-coding/hacking the UBB cgi's, to rearrange a few things.
    Although it might take a few hours to get everything 'just so'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Nice one! Good idea.

hmmm, how about one o dem java thingies that scrolls the text up within a box? You could put it under the read Ireland link, as long as there isn't too much text it doesn't take long to initialise. That way, peeps could see what was in to news before going there...

Just an idea...

Originally posted by LoLth:
    how about one o dem java thingies that scrolls the text up within a box

LOL
    You mean a Frame? smile.gif

Not a bad idea actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

java news ticker applet => nuff said
    (oh and frames have nothing to do with java really)

• Advertisement

's what i meant loike smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Mayb
    get an extra resource window to open, containing all the links or whatever you want. It won't get in the way of the boards but will be clearer and can be ignored if wanted.

..........or am I talking ****..............just an idea

No Pretence, I think you have it.

/me jumps around crying "By George she's got it"

I'll try it when I get home

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

noooooooooo

not an angelfire job.

please no,
    twe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Perhaps you could have a clickable hyperlink that would bring up the news bits, rather than having them popup automatically.

Advertisement