Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other good popular science books?

Options
  • 06-05-2000 1:25am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well?? I'm getting low again and another trip to the US coming up which means 12 hours of flying time and reading books.

Anyone got any good ones?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i read a good one recently about the human genome. it goes through all 26 cromosones(sic) and discusses each.
    very interesting.
    give me a while and i'll tell u who wrote it.
    called
    Genome: the Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters by matt ridley http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1857028341/026-6620935-9672417

also good
    the code book
    all about security and crypto stuff
    very good
    almost like a whale
    this is basically origin of the speciesII

[This message has been edited by MiCr0 (edited 06-05-2000).]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

2 to try
    "A wonderful life" by Stephen J. Gould about alternative pathways life could have evolved.
    "Diatoms to Dinosaurs" by Christopher McGowan
    about why creatures are the size they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

What kinda books do you prefer, fiction or non-fiction or wot......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Just saw the heading, guess your looking for popular science books;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

yeah, anything by stephen jay gould.
    de vore he is the finest author in this field around.
    sarah flannery has a new code book out right now. maybe i should get it to make myself feel insecure. i'm 18 and i still havent found a devilishly simple solution to cryptography problems the way she has!!!!
    there was an old french essayist beck in enlightment times- 1690-> called motaigne.
    maybe you should get yourself some of him.
    or DOUGLAS COUPLAND. fiction, but damn good fiction

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Neal Stephenson's new book, Cryptonomicon - part fact, part fiction, as per usual. Lots of interesting stuff about crypto.

Anything by Richard Dawson (Err, I think I got his hame wrong... It's all stuff about evolution and genetics, very interesting indeed).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You guys read Richard Feynman? It's autobiographical humour (by a professor of physics if you dont know him), great humour & stories. Well worth the read.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Feynman is a king. Incredible genius. I am going to start a cult with him as my god.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i know i bang on about it all the time, but the gap series by stephen donaldson, but it is really excellent.
    first book is a smally and really a singal read, but get into the second book and its brillaint.
    its basically based on the das ring by wagner, which is also based on norse mythology and by god its a goodie for the techie fans. goes all out on detail on the technology of the time and history of it and the story is brill as well. might just read it again myself smile.gif

Advertisement