Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry everybody

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

honestly.. is democratic *really* that much better than republican?

they're not *that* different..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

strangely moving...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Mordeth wrote:
    honestly.. is democratic *really* that much better than republican?

they're not *that* different..

No, but I can't think of an American leader in recent history who genuinely generated such a divisive sentiment.....

Sure, Democrats don't like Republican presidents by and large, and vice versa, but Bush's tenure seems to have put "don't like" firmly in the "understatement of the eight years" category....

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I looked at this web site and my initial thought was that it was nice of them to say sorry to the world.
    Then I thought, hey, WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?! I mean how arrogant can you get when you feel that you must apologise to the rest of the world for not voting out Bush?
    It implies that the world can't get along without the President of the United States of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Fair dues to them.
    I have a new found respect for 49% of america!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

PH01 wrote:
    Then I thought, hey, WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?! I mean how arrogant can you get when you feel that you must apologise to the rest of the world for not voting out Bush?

The people who feel bad hearing a vocal minority in the rest of the world complaining that they didn't???
    It implies that the world can't get along without the President of the United States of America.
    Again....just look at some of the comments going about. Clearly some people think they feel that it can't, and are letting the world know.

I agree its a bit of an ego-thing, but its not all that bad surely?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 claidheamh

PH01 wrote:

Apologising for this terrible occurance bears no such implication that the rest of the world cannot get along without the President of the United States of America. Now, in your opinion-possibly.

In my opinion, it implies that there is a very large group of people within the confines of the US of A, who care for the basic humanity of others outside their borders.

Furthermore (imo), it delivers a message that they did their best to dissolve a regime set on global subjugation, nonetheless failing. They/we/I, failed. We failed ourselves, and you. We know and understand the frustration felt by the international community, with regard to allowing the tyrant a return to the presidency. We lament with you over the atrocities being committed on foreign soil. I think it says, "Those of us who failed you know the value of life is balanced and equal. However, in the end we are a great many people, but alas too few, to stay our misguided sovereignty, the United States of America. For this, we are utterly ashamed"

We who apologise hold ourselves ultimately accountable; As, even though we didn't vote for him, he is the president of the nation under which we live, and we are part of the fatally flawed society which saw fit to continue his leadership.

Again, IMO an apology does not infer that other nations can not subsist unaided by the President of the US, or that we are arrogant. Moreso, we are profoundly regretful that foreign nations will continue to be victims from the adverse effect of his international folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Zulu wrote:
    I have a new found respect for 49% of america!
    49% who bothered to vote. The server is experiencing some difficulty - the whole world wants to see the apology :D I don't think they should apologise - it wasn't their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

49% who bothered to vote. The server is experiencing some difficulty - the whole world wants to see the apology :D I don't think they should apologise - it wasn't their fault.

I count myself among the 49% of Americans who bothered to vote. I also have a difficult time believing almost 52% of voting Americans basically reelected LBJ the 2nd. I tried to convince everyone I knew to vote for Kerry. I did all that I could and I apologise for the choice of my countrymen, well intentioned though misguided as they may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

BattleBoar wrote:
    I also have a difficult time believing almost 52% of voting Americans basically reelected LBJ the 2nd.
    Unfair comparison. LBJ appointed the first black justice of the supreme court and enacted civil rights legislation even though he knew it would mean handing the south to the republicans. Dubya has done absolutely shag all except allow the country to be dragged backward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

look at the site now, its been taken down and replaced... by a hostname company maybe he exceeded his bandwidth i dunno

Advertisement