Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Dublin wide by Christmas

• 05-11-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I just called NTL (again) in the hope I would be told that my area has been enabled, but alas not. I asked when my area would be enabled and they said they could not give me an exact date, but she did say...

"We will have the whole of Dublin covered this side of Christmas"

WOOHOO!! :D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Just an update, I asked some one else who lives in a different area to call NTL and see if he got the same reply and he was told the whole of Dublin within 2-3 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I know a friend of mine who got NTL out to install the wiring and so on for his house (Dublin 8) and he was told that NTL BB wouldn't be coming into the area for at least 2 years or more by the engineer doing the installation. This is about 2 weeks ago.

Or are they just peddling a new company line?

It would be fantastic if its true though!

NTL Online checker
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/

machalla wrote:
    I know a friend of mine who got NTL out to install the wiring and so on for his house (Dublin 8) and he was told that NTL BB wouldn't be coming into the area for at least 2 years or more by the engineer doing the installation. This is about 2 weeks ago.

Or are they just peddling a new company line?

It would be fantastic if its true though!

Strange, SteM posted yesterday saying NTL had landed in Dublin 8. see....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=198606

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulyx

Don't know where that came from lads but unfortunately its untrue

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

It's arrived out in Saggart/Citywest. Installation next Friday. Bye bye Esat/BT. Bye bye Sky.

paulyx wrote:
    Don't know where that came from lads but unfortunately its untrue

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news........

It came from 2 different people in the NTL call Centre using the dedicated NTL Broadband phone number from the NTL site...

What part of NTL do you work in paulyx, any insider info on the true timescale if what the Call Centre is saying is untrue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Im not sure about the Broadband thing but having previously worked for NTL, its a grand place to work and that but their customer service ranks as the worst their is in the country,it wasnt uncommon for people to be left waiting for hours at a time on the dog and bone,when i might have been in conversation with people taxi drivers,etc,etc and mentioned i worked for them a lot of the time i was lambasted (or rather NTL were) i used to have customers roaring down the phone at me complaining that they were on hold for hours,wasnt anything to do with me as i didnt work in customer service but i could understand their frustration,i dont know if their customer service has improved since i was employed there a few years back but i should hope it has... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Or maybe the IBB CS Manager has moved to NTL?

Blaster99 wrote:
    Or maybe the IBB CS Manager has moved to NTL?

nah, if he had then the whole of ireland would be covered in 2-3 weeks, just as soon as their "new" mast is up

• Advertisement

I remember seeing the D8 NTL post but that only seems to cover Christchurch and environs. We are up near Inchicore village and that part of Dublin 8 is apparently on a very long finger (if the install guy was to be believed).

Every time I have talked to NTL (quite a few times) they have told me, they don't know when an area will be upgraded due to commercial reasons. I will know sooner than them it seems as it all depends on you getting a letter in the door inviting you to get broadband. Thats what they all told me every time I called. I haven't called in a month though, so maybe somethings changed.

Ho well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

So in 1 month and 10 days the whole of Dublin will be upgraded....meaning they will rewire all the old estates that need new cabling and they will upgrade all the equipment to two way. Adey2002 I've got a spire to sell you if you are interested.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Maybe they've gone down the route of most other ISPs and are going to be reselling eircom's RADSL service!?!;-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Adey2002 wrote:

Unfortunately Dublin 8 and most postal districts cover such large areas that trying to gauge the likely progress of NTL BB by postal district is probably a futile exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

is it out in clondalkin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

WezzyB wrote:
    Maybe they've gone down the route of most other ISPs and are going to be reselling eircom's RADSL service!?!;-)
    Of course not, there is a huge difference in speed for one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Adey2002 wrote:
    Just an update, I asked some one else who lives in a different area to call NTL and see if he got the same reply and he was told the whole of Dublin within 2-3 months...

Everytime I called them its always coming out soon. Within a couple of months. I have heard that statement since BB came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,645 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Adey2002 wrote:
    "We will have the whole of Dublin covered this side of Christmas"

eh, HAHAHAHA :rolleyes:

"It only took us about 4 years to get our first 1000 customers. That's nearly 1 a day! Sure we can get another 10000 customers a day for the next month no problem"

NOT

Sorry, this is a biggie......

To answer the scheptics, it is obvious that NTL will not get their broadband rolled out to the whole of Dublin by Christmas, but at least they are trying to get the rollout done as quickley as possible. But are they??? Who knows????

Time for my late night semi-sober rant…..

It is a shame that NTL have decided to keep everyone in the dark rather than tell people at least the "target" rollout date for their area. I know many people have been told that it is because NTL don’t want their competitors concentrating on the area, but I believe this to be a false economy. Whilst us, the consumer are left in the dark about when we will finally get a decent broadband service from NTL, many of us will succumb to the “free 3 month” trial of eircom whether direct or resold through IOL and others, and once that free trial is up the majority will sign a 12 month contract. What happens to us, the consumer then when an NTL leaflet drops through your door maybe a week, two weeks/months after we have signed that 12 month contract? We’re shagged. Paying for a sub-standard product knowing full well there is a much superior one out there and in the meantime, NTL get nothing from us. Surely it would be better for NTL to give us the most accurate timescale as possible to stop this from happening. All we are hearing through press and TV adverts are eircom/iol/esat and their free trials. I’m no marketing expert, but I can’t see how saying “well we won’t advertise because our competitors will know what we’re doing” is going to get many customers in fact, I would go as far as saying if it were me at the head of NTL, the person that came up with the “keep quiet strategy” should start to look for alternative employment.

It is a real shame because you can tell how superior NTL’s service is just by looking through the messages on boards.ie, I don’t think I can count on one hand the negative posts that have been placed about NTL, in fact I remember just one recent negative post regarding charging for re-connection, which after discussion was sorted to that persons satisfaction and now, he is back enjoying NTL’s service the lucky f... fella.

So to conclude my little rant, a short message to NTL ….

What are you doing??? You have customers out here waiting (very patiently) for your service. The intelligent among us realise that you have a product far superior to anything out there. We realise that there have been many financial obstacles in your way, but all we want is a timescale. Something to let us know whether we should sign that 12 month contract with eircom/resellers or not.
    Just to mention by the way, I can’t see eircom (as an example) targeting their TV adverts on Clondalkin just because you announce a target rollout date there so theres no need to worry about them getting in first. In fact theres no need to worry about that at all because without a target date eircom and resellers of eircom already have the area sewn up.

Semi-sober rant over.

As always, all opinions welcome.

Adey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't think the whole of Dublin is even planned for eventual upgrade ever, let alone completed by Christmas. They have been doing the odd estate here and there for the last couple of years, and these seem to be new estates with relatively new infrastructure.

However, I agree with Adey, that where they do intend upgrading, it would make sense to publish a timescale so that people could choose whether to hang on or not. They also need to stick to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

SkepticOne wrote:
    I don't think the whole of Dublin is even planned for eventual upgrade ever, let alone completed by Christmas. They have been doing the odd estate here and there for the last couple of years, and these seem to be new estates with relatively new infrastructure.

However, I agree with Adey, that where they do intend upgrading, it would make sense to publish a timescale so that people could choose whether to hang on or not. They also need to stick to it.

Very true. I've been hearing this since before I went with Netsource almost 18 months ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

It's arrived out in Saggart/Citywest. Installation next Friday. Bye bye Esat/BT. Bye bye Sky.

Bye Bye Sky? Very BAD idea!! i cant stress enough.

Their Broadband may be class but the Digital TV is ffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr from acceptable never mind bad.

Sky is what NTL is for broadband.. The best and far superior to all others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd have to agree with optiplex here about ntl go digital.

It is pretty poor in general,
    The picture quality is good and you don't get the screen chopped like is done on some of the widescreen feeds on the ntl analogue service.
    A plus about Ntl digital is that you only see channels you get not like the sky service.
    The big minus about Ntl digital is its remote, its terrible, the placement of the buttons (red,green,blue,yellow) are inconsistent with most other remotes and the same goes for the channel and volume buttons.

Back on-topic:

I just ordered the three month trial from IOL and I would love it if I could get broadband off another provider by the end of this trial, such as NTL or IBB so that I can get BB at speeds greater than 512K....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My assumption has always been that NTL is not publishing a roll-out plan because it doesn't have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Adey2002 wrote:

Yup, have the letter here in front of me. When i got it I called NTL because I'm moving up to Thomas Street next week and NTL said it was available in my new place too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

SkepticOne wrote:
    it would make sense to publish a timescale so that people could choose whether to hang on or not. They also need to stick to it.

Possibly a bit cynical here, but I'd say this is at least part of the problem. If you give people dates, they have an annoying habit of expecting you to stick to them. Without dates, NTL can muddle along, an estate here, a few streets there, but always knowing that there will be a market for their superior product. And nobody can accuse you of not sticking to a non-existent schedule, can they?

Personally, I'm determined to ignore them until they ring or write to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Thought I saw someone mention somewhere that they are now out in Blackrock. Can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

If ntl manage to replace ALL the cable in Ranelagh/Rathmines like they need to before this xams they deserve 100% takeup. But let's face it, as other people said, it's not going to happen.

NTL are in Blackrock as of about 3 months ago. A friend of mine was moving from the area when he got a letter in the door from NTL offering BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Brilliant, maybe they'll work southwards from there and make it to me in Dun Loaghare... why not be optimistic!

Does anyone know what exactly NTL have to do to upgrade an area for broadband? I presume it doesn't involve actually doing anything with the physical cable running from house to house?

Advertisement