Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Dublin wide by Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Whats the rationale behind the free disconnections, Muck?

Given that its Eircon you would think they would probably be trying to charge 10 times that for disconnection just to strongarm people into not disconnecting.

Oops I think my cynicism towards that shower might be starting to show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I emailed ntl and asked them is it available in my building (rathmines\ranalagh area). They are supposed to be ringing me to confirm according to the reply email. I'll let u all know what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

machalla wrote:
    Whats the rationale behind the free disconnections, Muck?

Given that its Eircon you would think they would probably be trying to charge 10 times that for disconnection just to strongarm people into not disconnecting.

Oops I think my cynicism towards that shower might be starting to show...

Very prescient questions Machalla.

The disconnection charge is new, disconnections were FREE until the summer when the charge was first introduced. If the word gets out that there is a disconnect charge then people will not bother getting a phone for short periods of 6 months , 25 x 2 and 6 x 24 rental pays for a lot of mobile calls.
    Eircom realise now that if the rental sector gets into the habit never having a landline they are screwed . Anecdotally I heard they surveyed UCD students last year and were frightened at the number of them who would not 'bother' with a landline because it is too expensive . Their short termist greed is creating a generation of non customers for their product.

They normally have offers like ISDN connects and upgrades and now POTS connects in October November every year. They have a free ISDN upgrade scheme going on at present .

The free disconnect /reconnect could get you another three month trial of BB as long as you get a new number on the line and get it tested by the end of November :) ......

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

I rang Ntl they told me they would have internet cable Dublin wide by january
    That was two years ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

cuppa wrote:
    I rang Ntl they told me they would have internet cable Dublin wide by january
    That was two years ago :D

of course they didn't say which january did they??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭voakesy

biggest load of crap ive ever heard, it aint gonna happen.
    there telling you what there told to say unless that new magic wand broadband service and you can get it at the shake of a wand. NOW THATS QUALITY!
    SHA ZAMM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

have to agree. They've been saying this on and off since 1999 but nothing came of it except a 'relaunch' of the tallaght area ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my bb contract with eircom is up in about a two months and while i would dearly like to believe that ntl will be available in my area then (dublin 7 near smithfield) i doubt it will.

while i have been happy with eircom's service (quality wise and based on the fact that i pay 40 of the 55 a month) i would like a speed increase and not to have to worry that i might suddenly be charge for going over the cap. suppose i'll just have to reexamine my options in the new year.

could someone tell me perhaps if i just continue the eircom service over after the 12 month contract am i obliged to stick with them for another 12 months or can i cancel with no charges after say 14 months?

cheers

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i got a flyer in my last NTL bill saying that BB was now available in my area.. Temple Bar/Christchurch area...

I just got in eircom trial, so i think ill use the 2 months and then get the 1.5 mb ntl in... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Thanks temp, there isn't any chance that you could tell me about the chances of a certain area getting BB, Clonsilla/Hartstown area to be precise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

temp-nic wrote:
    What the demand for BB is in the areas already up and running. If they think its worth while then the €100m investment comes into play so the older parts get the upgrades needed.
    Lets hope they think its worthwhile so. In a press release a while back, NTL gave the impression that they would be spending 100m upgrading the network. What areas have no chance of being upgraded?

A lot of people would like to hang on for NTL, but what your're saying is that many areas will never be upgraded regardless of the 100m which may or may not be spent depending on whether NTL consider it worthwhile.

I think the best thing is that the government get a move on with plans for digital terrestrial TV. The sort of network that NTL operate in the majority of areas would not stand a chance in other countries. I think it is time that this situation was brought about in Ireland as quickly as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

SkepticOne wrote:
    Lets hope they think its worthwhile so. In a press release a while back, NTL gave the impression that they would be spending 100m upgrading the network. What areas have no chance of being upgraded?
    Think of it as an ageist policy :) The older the house (and cable) the less the chance.
    A lot of people would like to hang on for NTL, but what your're saying is that many areas will never be upgraded regardless of the 100m which may or may not be spent depending on whether NTL consider it worthwhile.
    A M8 in Merrion Square even has NTL MMDS . Cable is a bit new fangled in Merrion Square.
    I think the best thing is that the government get a move on with plans for digital terrestrial TV.
    That will be a dead duck until after the election because of deflectors in rural constituencies in the northern half of the state.

RTE have a test DTT system in Dublin (3 Rock or Donnybrook IIRC) , it may be freeview compliant . Freeview is brand of the UK standard.

If the UK turns off Analogue as they threaten in about 5 years then it could all change very quickly...as long as the perfidious Brits can be blamed and not FF .

The government could incentivise the upgrade / installation of high quality cable in older residential areas (many have detached houses ) ....possibly with a tax break linked to pre 1963 housing as pre 1963 housing comes in for differential treatment anyway and would have the oldest and crummiest cable irrespective of social class . Business districts should go straight to FTTH .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Sounds like the main problem is whether a node has fiber connectivity to the head-end, the rest sounds relatively straight-forward to sort out so long as the cable is reasonably good.

Are these fibre nodes the rule or exception in the network, or what is the major issue standing in the way of a major NTL roll-out?

If one can get NTL's digital TV offering, does that indicate that the cable is of a reasonable quality and can probably carry BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Muck wrote:
    Think of it as an ageist policy :) The older the house (and cable) the less the chance.

A M8 in Merrion Square even has NTL MMDS . Cable is a bit new fangled in Merrion Square.

That will be a dead duck until after the election because of deflectors in rural constituencies in the northern half of the state.
    Well it looks like things are moving on in other parts of the country http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=201612

This will light a fire under Chorus. Something similar is needed for NTL too, I think. Far better than tax incentives. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Cheers for offering to try and help, Temp.

Maybe if some of the management types in NTL got the flood of pms (or emails!) that you are getting they might be a bit more convinced about going with a blanket BB strategy.

I wonder is there anyway of putting this across to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

just called ntl today and asked if my house was bb enabled, unfortunately it isn't, but the guy said some areas of D8 are enabled and it will be a month or so for my house to be enabled. but the thing is i don't have ntl tv package.... hmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ShamBoballa

wanwarlock wrote:
    just called ntl today and asked if my house was bb enabled, unfortunately it isn't, but the guy said some areas of D8 are enabled and it will be a month or so for my house to be enabled. but the thing is i don't have ntl tv package.... hmmmmmm

Wanwarlock, what part of SCR you in??? Im in Portobello and we dont know when NTL bband is coming our way. Thinking of Getting IIB Breeze

am in dufferin avenue (the street in front of the mosque). can't u get eircon/esatbt? i can't get them apparently it's only the line to my house, the area is bb enabled which really p*sses me off.

have u called ntl and asked if u were enabled? their number is 1800 923005

i'm planning to get breeze as well, just called them as well to get the forms.

Same prob with our gaff. Old wires into the house i think. I dont use the phone anyway so I dont want to pay line rental.
    Just called 1800 923005 any the girl had no idea when bband is coming.

Some joke. If they came back to me and said they would have our area enabled within 4-5 months, I would actually hold off getting IBB and wait for NTL.

They are shooting themselves in the foot with this non-dissemination of info to their tech support workers.

Same prob with our gaff. Old wires into the house i think. I dont use the phone anyway so I dont want to pay line rental.
    Just called 1800 923005 any the girl had no idea when bband is coming.

Some joke. If they came back to me and said they would have our area enabled within 4-5 months, I would actually hold off getting IBB and wait for NTL.

They are shooting themselves in the foot with this non-dissemination of info to their tech support workers.

:D probably because it was a girl (no offence to the opposite sex!! heheh), my guy sounded really confident about the 'a month or so' statement he gave me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i just rang for the hell of it incase it was avaliable in my area but no surprise that it isnt. He said that for D8 and D22 its going to be sometime in the new year but he couldnt say when. oh well.......

Ah tits,
    will get onto IIB today so

ohh... forgot to mention, the ntl guy i rang also said that if the area is enabled, they would send out a letter like in the 1st post in this thread. so u guys just have to wait for the letter then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I think it is a reasonable assumption at this stage that the people answering the phones do not have a clue as to when bb will arrive in any area (through no fault of their own)

They probably have a pain in their butts being asked the question and occasionally some staff member will give date with no basis whatsoever which starts a thread like this.

It seems we all have to wait on that magic letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Predje

What range of speeds are ntl capable of providing does anyone know?
    Also does anyone know which authority or board is directly responsible for internet services?
    Im looking at this story of uk dsl subscribers getting 8m/b for the price of what i pay for ****ty 512kbs from eircom and it is making me ill
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4016031.stm

ntl says their speeds are 1.5mb, 700kbps & 300 if i remember correctly from my call today. also it's a cable connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think was is clear particularly after reading temp-nic's posts, is that when NTL says "Dublin wide" it doesn't mean 100% coverage, it's similar to Eircom's DSL roll-out. Best case it might mean 100% node coverage, but actual availability depends on the cable quality and distance from the node. Sounds obvious enough, but I along with I'm sure many others, assumed that Dublin-wide meant that every NTL customer could get it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

temp-nic wrote:
    Bare with me folks,this is turning out to be a bit harder then I thought.

Temp.

Temp make sure that you do not get yourself into trouble on our behalf nobody would want that I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Speak of the devil; I got a phone call from NTL tonight,
    saying my flat is eligible for broadband (am in the Christchurch
    area, Dublin 8 on the edge of D2). €35 per month (don't know
    if VAT is included) for 768kps, 30Gb cap a month. Tempting
    compared to my current Digiweb account....

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Thats IS inc vat. And a 1.5Mb line for €50 inc Vat and the cap is a fair usage policy not capping of about 1GB a day

Prices/Speeds are at http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

Advertisement