Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Dublin wide by Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Also has news server access and web space. Looks better and better. What's the catch? ;) The contention ratio is high?

Also, are there any inherent differences between DSL and cable, ignoring implementation-specific details such as speed, cap, etc?

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

17:1 contention pretty good better than dsl anyways :)

i wan it
    i wan it
    i wan it
    i wan it

;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

damn..... i want ntl!!! oh... just got my ibb form today. should i wait for ntl to be enabled in my area (SCR area)???

dilemma.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

How many years can you afford to wait?

If you can get IBB then get it. There is no guarantee an area will be upgraded and as Temp already mentioned if the quality of the cabling is not up to scratch you may not even be able to get it anyway.

This thing of Dublin being upgraded in the next few months is something that NTL trots out once or twice a year and then does nothing.

You are only on a twelve month contract with IBB if you get the Breeze home option. Otherwise get ripwave and try it out to see if it works. It has only a 30 day contract and if it doesn't work for you you can send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

machalla wrote:
    How many years can you afford to wait?
    Give em 8-10 years then if nothing happens i'll call shenanigans!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Friend just got one of those "You can get NTL broadband" flyers in her mailbox the other day. She's getting it installed next week. Lives between Georges st. & Stephen's Green. It seems like they're actually getting new areas up and running ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Van-Zan

Hate to rain on your parade guys, i had ntl broadband when i was living in england, i have never encountered such incompetency from a service company in my life. From what i am hearing from friends about the irish NTL, they are not much better. Look elsewhere if you are trying to get broadband. They dont have the infrastructure in place and the company itself is in serious trouble regardless of what they claim. The services they offer do look great on paper, sadly the reality is very very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Look at the alternatives..

Eircom DSL in effect (yes there is UTV, Esat, Digiweb and so on but its all coming over Eircoms network).

Wireless in some limited places.

Not much of a choice.

I'd take my chances with NTL. No-one here seems to have had any major problems with the BB product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Van-Zan wrote:
    Hate to rain on your parade guys, i had ntl broadband when i was living in england, i have never encountered such incompetency from a service company in my life. From what i am hearing from friends about the irish NTL, they are not much better. Look elsewhere if you are trying to get broadband. They dont have the infrastructure in place and the company itself is in serious trouble regardless of what they claim. The services they offer do look great on paper, sadly the reality is very very different.

I think if you'll look around the boards you'll see that users here reckon it's the best home broadband provider in Ireland. NTL have a bad reputation in this country for their digital and cable services, but not for their broadband service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

I think the main reason why NTL broadband is a winner (I have it) is that you very rarely need the contact the "support" dept. It works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

I rang NTL about 6 weeks ago when i was moving into my new apartment on Rochestown Avenue (beside Cabinteely), to see if i could get BB through the NTL cable sitting in the corner. I was told not, and they didn't know when it would be available, but that i would know when it does available. :(

And then in the post box this morning was a flyer saying it is! :):) So no wasted phone rental charges just to get BB then.

But it does seem that NTL are enabling more and more areas-personally i thought i would be a bit out of the way to get it anytime soon-nice to see that they finally getting their "dublin-wide" roll out going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

My impression was that in general theres few complaints about NTL BB once you get it. Mine has been fine (touch wood) except for one night when the whole area went down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They told me in Cabinteely that it will be here just after xmas...Im praying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Van-Zan wrote:

Surely if you are going to criticise a company you should give some basis for that criticism? There is no substance whatsoever in your post to justify your criticisms. You may have had bad experiences with them but you are not giving us any evidence.

As another poster has observed on the TV front their customer service can be truly appalling but on the broadband front boards is full of posts singing their praises and there is evidence posted almost daily that their services are being extended. They have reached an agreement with the ESB to extend services even further beyond Dublin.

On what basis do you claim that they are in serious trouble or that they have not got infrastructure in place? They are serious allegations to be making without any backup for them.

And dont forget NTL are doing us all a favour even those of us who cannot get it for the moment by putting a lot of pressure on Eircom.

And as someone else has also mentioned there are relatively few complaints posted about faults with the BB product itself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I almost had a nervous breakdown as a result of dealing with NTL broadband problems a couple of years ago. I can't talk any more about it, for I fear I will start foaming at the mouth. This is in Dublin 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

im living in the city center right in dublin2 and we cant get ntl or ibb , but i refuse to pay 25 for line rental , no net at home fer me

stagolee wrote:
    im living in the city center right in dublin2 and we cant get ntl or ibb , but i refuse to pay 25 for line rental , no net at home fer me

At least you can get it...
    spockety wrote:
    I almost had a nervous breakdown as a result of dealing with NTL broadband problems a couple of years ago. I can't talk any more about it, for I fear I will start foaming at the mouth. This is in Dublin 24.

Its taken me a couple of years to get off dialup. You had BB a few years ago!!!! Jammy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭brianc123

I just got a letter from them to say my area is enabeled
    i live in D22 so happy days :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

What part of d22 you from ? please :)

I live in grange view near cherrywood

• Advertisement

brianc123 wrote:
    I just got a letter from them to say my area is enabeled
    i live in D22 so happy days :D:D:D

Take it if you can get it! I got it installed yesterday and the download speeds are fantastic! :)

which package did you get ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

I remember talking to guy that worked quite high up at NTL at an office party this time last year. He reckoned it would be a few years, if ever before NTL were Dublin wide. Apparantly they just didn't have the money at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i have never encountered such incompetency from a service company in my life.
    I think i could easily find 10 subscribers, from each of the different broadband providers who will say the exact same thing about their provider, and i doubt i'd have to look further than this forum to find em.

Everywhere is ****e, just choose an ISP that requires the least amount of time on the phone to tech support, and you'll be happy.

NTL were in serious financial difficulty a few years ago, but afaik they're more or less ok now, safely climbing out of the pit of debt.

brianc123 wrote:
    which package did you get ?

The middle package, 750kbps for €35 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i got the NTL 300kbps package on thursday. its €15 a month for ppl in tallaght that used to have the dial up. there was a delay in gtting it in coz the wires had to be put up throught he atticso we got eircom 2 month trial while we were waitin. so now ive got two broadband lines in my house for a total of €15 a month! nice! :)

with regards NTL sayin there'll be full coverage in a few months: i read another poster saying that the tech support girl told him she didnt know when BB was gettin to his area so he went for IBB but he sed if she told him NTL will be there in a few months he would've waited. maybe thats the reason they're telling everyone they'll have full coverage ina few months; to stop ppl opting for their competitors?

ps i have had absolutely zero trouble with either of the two. the NTL modem apparently uses DHCP to get the settings aswell as any firmware updates (i was reading the ntl site today)!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I am in Cabra and my phone line failed the test for DSL but amazingly NTL are offerring cable broadband in the area now and I'm getting hooked up on Wednesday. Yipee!

I have a wireless router. Does anyone know of any issues using the NTL cable modem with a wireless router to breate a WiFi environment at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

capistrano wrote:
    I am in Cabra and my phone line failed the test for DSL but amazingly NTL are offerring cable broadband in the area now and I'm getting hooked up on Wednesday. Yipee!

this is good news, i'm down near aughrim street and rang them recently and they said it was not available but if things have changed...

[edit]bah things have not changed[/edit]

capistrano wrote:

I have a wireless router. Does anyone know of any issues using the NTL cable modem with a wireless router to breate a WiFi environment at home?

I've just ordered a Linksys router, due for delivery in a few days time. I spoke to the guy who came to install the other day and he said there should be no issues, also there are board users on other threads who have confirmed that they are using wireless routers with NTL BB without any problems.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote:
    I've just ordered a Linksys router, due for delivery in a few days time. I spoke to the guy who came to install the other day and he said there should be no issues, also there are board users on other threads who have confirmed that they are using wireless routers with NTL BB without any problems.

What model Linksys did you get?

Advertisement