Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre size

Options
  • 05-11-2004 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Right here is my issue, have got myself new wheels :D Now I need tyres, wheels are 16" things, what is the difference in tyre size? ie. 195/45R16 to 195/50R16. Any ideas, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use a tyre calculator like http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

God thats a great thing altogether! Thanks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Tyre size are displayed on the tyre as you have sais eg 195/45R16.

What this means is that the tyre is 195mm wide the the side wall height is 45% of the width,and the size of the wheel the tyre is to be used on is a 16" wheel.
    If you need 195/45r16 and are thinking of getting 195/50r16 instead ,then don't they might be cheaper but you will have a lot of hassle if the car is lowered or if you have a few poeple in the back the tyre will rub off the inside arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Forgot to say that the larger 195/50 tyre will also make your speedo less accurate where the 195/45 will keep it as accurate as possible.

Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else struck my the fact the tyre sizes are a mix of imperial and metric standards? I mean how'd that happen?

Mike.

• Advertisement

I think it is because the major tyre manufacturers initially came from countries that use the SI measurements whilst car wheels were initially made in inches (US decision). The tyres were designed metrically to fit an imperial sized rim.
    Some manufacturers were tempted to try and convert the double measurements trend and go fully metric (e.g. BMW) but it flopped!
    An interesting link about tyres - www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&tyre_bible.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kbannon wrote:
    I think it is because the major tyre manufacturers initially came from countries that use the SI measurements whilst car wheels were initially made in inches (US decision). The tyres were designed metrically to fit an imperial sized rim.
    Some manufacturers were tempted to try and convert the double measurements trend and go fully metric (e.g. BMW) but it flopped!
    An interesting link about tyres - www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&tyre_bible.html

No sooner had I posted, I did a google and found this http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar2001/985878609.Sh.r.html the page linked you linked to is exellent if a little exhausting.

Mike.

it is excellent! there is also a page on that site about oils which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

well they mnentioned changing from 195/45R16 to 195/50R16 so there should be no significant amount of torque required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

agreed - many people who upgrade their wheels dont think about the consequences that it may have on their car. Most Qs here about uprating wheels are about whether or not they will fit on, not whether the offset is correct, whether the arches will fit them, etc.

Advertisement