Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beach

Options
  • 16-05-2000 9:35am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, I know that there have been a number of other posts on this book over the last while but I didn't pay too much attention cos I hadn't read it yet.
    Anyway, last night I finished it and am trying to sort out in my head what exactly I thought of it.Good story, fast paced...but it seems to lack a certain detail that is present in other great books...maybe I'm just imagining it....
    Another thing that struck me was the resembelance of "THe Beach" to "Lord of the Flies".It seems as if Alex Garland was trying to write a book that was along the same lines with a different edge, but somehow he didn't disguise the fact that he was ripping off "Lord of the FLies" enough..
    ...anyway, I still liked it and I'd advise anyone to read it.This is just my over critical mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I don't agree. The Lord of the Flies was about the breakdown of civilisation but the Beach was about the "horrors" of civilisation.

Damn Sid Meier! I keep thinking I'm missing a Z

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

...but could that not be said in a vice versa sort of way also...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Lord of the Flies being about the "horrors" of civiliseation? I don't think so.

Horrors is a bad word really. What I meant was how the islands were messed up cos too many tourists came and they were followed by people tring to make money off the tourists and before long the islands were ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭*Rebel*

Yup fantastic book..I read it about 2 months ago...saw the film after and it did'nt compare to it!

-*Rebel*

Why watch Wimbledon when you can watch Drumcree instead?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok, if I get time I'll read it again and see the different prespective.

I suppose it would be interesting, but I don't think that it would be as exciting, as the initial time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement