Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sorry mouse - R.I.P.

• 05-11-2004 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭

Had a moose in de hoose there for a bit.
    He was living under the floorboards and he popped out one
    evening for a quick look about. Stuck around for a minute
    while we stared each other in the eye until he disappeared through the hole when the radiator pipe goes under the floor.

Got one of those humane mousetraps in the hope that it
    would work but twice the little chap got the cheese but
    didn't get trapped.

So, yesterday I had to buy the mean-mouse-machine
    and I was woken up at about 4 a.m. by the snap.
    Can't have little mouse babies running about the house (if he
    had a wife that is) so he left me no choice.

I just wanted to say sorry to the little guy.

I hate killing things.
    Still, at least I haven't killed about 50,000 civilians in the name of democracy!
    (couldn't resist)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I know what you mean. We seem to have a lot of meeses in the gaff and every couple of days one of the cats shows up with one and tortures it for a few hours. I sometimes set them free, but they always come back to get killed. Nature is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

get one of those sonic things that plug into the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah I was looking at those but you need one for each room in the house.
    20 euro by 11 rooms = 220......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Apparently mice don't like cheese. They can't digest it properly.
    Best thing to use in a trap is cooked bacon rind or chocolate.
    It worked for us when we had a mousie in our newly built kitchen extension.
    The mouse was caught in the trap within 10 minutes of the trap being set.

P.S.
    Slepnir, are you using the Danger Mouse logo as an avatar in memorium to your dearly departed ex-mouse?? ;)

If I ain't spending 220 euro on a mouse I ain't willing to cook for them ;)

EDIT: That's right but I'm not DangerMouse, I'm DangerToMouse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

ok so cook some rashers for yourself and leave the scrap bit in the trap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

I would like to say sorry in advance the Charlie, Charleen*, Jack* and Jackaleen* who currently do the tango in the attic above my head everynight!

The mean mouse traps have been laid........

:rolleyes:

*not sure of current mouse population but sounds like dance classes are being taken every night from 3 - 6.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I used one of the humane traps recently and loaded it with peanut butter, it worked a treat.
    I have pet rats so there is no way I could consider killing a mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's amazing how quickly rigor mortis sets in on dead mice...

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I used one of the humane traps recently and loaded it with peanut butter, it worked a treat.
    I have pet rats so there is no way I could consider killing a mouse.

Where did you release them?
    Next door? :D

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote:
    Where did you release them?
    Next door? :D

I put her in my rat transport cage and brought her across the locks ( I live in ringsend) and was able to drop her off quite close to the house but not close enough as she would have had to cross three locks to get back to my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Mice and rats can be clever little bastards as well.
    Once there was a rat in the back garden. My father set this home-made trap consisting of a box held up by a twig and string wiyh food at the end. He kept watch out the window.

Sure enough along came the rat towards the opening of the trap. Then he paused right in front of it for a minute or two, walked around the thing and then aproached from the side where he could reach the food without entering.
    The f**ker escaped with the food!

It was probably similar tactics Bush used against Bin Laden! "Damn it, Ronald! We almost had him!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

Sleipnir wrote:
    Had a moose in de hoose there for a bit.
    He was living under the floorboards and he popped out one
    evening for a quick look about. Stuck around for a minute
    while we stared each other in the eye until he disappeared through the hole when the radiator pipe goes under the floor.

Got one of those humane mousetraps in the hope that it
    would work but twice the little chap got the cheese but
    didn't get trapped.

So, yesterday I had to buy the mean-mouse-machine
    and I was woken up at about 4 a.m. by the snap.
    Can't have little mouse babies running about the house (if he
    had a wife that is) so he left me no choice.

I just wanted to say sorry to the little guy.

I hate killing things.
    Still, at least I haven't killed about 50,000 civilians in the name of democracy!
    (couldn't resist)

Aw bless, that's so cute! :D

Mice and rats can be clever little bastards as well.
    Once there was a rat in the back garden. My father set this home-made trap consisting of a box held up by a twig and string wiyh food at the end. He kept watch out the window.

Sure enough along came the rat towards the opening of the trap. Then he paused right in front of it for a minute or two, walked around the thing and then aproached from the side where he could reach the food without entering.
    The f**ker escaped with the food!

It was probably similar tactics Bush used against Bin Laden! "Damn it, Ronald! We almost had him!"

Rats also dont eat a new food straight away, they have no vomit or belch reflex so if they eat something new they always assume it could be poisonous and only eat a tiny bit of it then wait a while, if they dont get sick they go back and stuff themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Rats also dont eat a new food straight away, they have no vomit or belch reflex so if they eat something new they always assume it could be poisonous and only eat a tiny bit of it then wait a while, if they dont get sick they go back and stuff themselves.

Whoa! They are clever little feckers....note to self for next night on the town!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yeah, cats are very mean to little mice. I have loads in my garage (and some in my attic, but it's a flat roof attic and I can't do anything about it, grr..), and the cat will spend hours just toying with the things and teasing them..They definitely do enjoy it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Yeah killing mice is just not nice....i spent a xmas a few years back doing it. Poor little bastards were getting caught in the mouse traps and getting motally wounded but not dead so i'd have to take them outside and stand on them to put them out of their misery...felt bloody awful. Must have had to do that about 10 times :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We have pigeons (or is it cuckoos) in the chimney. It was really unnerving sitting at the PC and suddenly theres rustling and a "coo-coo" right next to me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

We had mice in our garage once, laid traps and caught three of em. Jus threw them in a bucket temporarily to be disposed of at a later date and then forgot about them. When i finally went back to look in the bucket it turned out one of them had not actually been killed by the trap but had broken its spine evidently as it was dragging itself around by its front legs. The interesting part is that he got hungry bein stuck in the bucket and somehow managed to eat the eyes and tongue of both the other mice!!! needless to say we put him out of his misery, felt bad that the little guy was there for like three days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I would have spent the €220 (or spent days constructing an elaborate home made humane mouse trap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

woosaysdan wrote:
    get one of those sonic things that plug into the wall
    those things give me headaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Sleipnir wrote:
    I hate killing things.
    (couldn't resist)
    "With 100,000 men dying every day, who's going to miss one small pigeon?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was stripping the wallpaper in my computer room in the house and when I pulled out the cabinet there was a load of shít on the floor. I just cleaned it up and plastered the hole he was coming in and out from. The poor fecker is probably stuck in the wall. Ah no, I'm sure he found some way out but he's still most likely in the house. I don't mind though, I've just noticed myself not eating food left out in the kitchen over night. ;) There's 5 of us in the house but I'm the only one that knows, the oul' one and sisters would get over paranoid. :)

Advertisement