Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ombudsman- Mediator or Advocate

Options
  • 05-11-2004 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

According to the website of the Office of the Ombudsman its mission statement is 'Helping to achieve a public service which is open, fair and accountable.'

The dictionary defines an ombudsman as ' A man who investigates complaints and mediates fair settlements, especially between aggrieved parties such as consumers or students and an institution or organization.'

In the light of the above Emily O'Reilly, Irelands Ombudsman and Information Commissioner has stepped outside the boundaries of her Office in her speech to at the Annual Ceifin Conference in Ennis on "Imagining the Future".

"It would be good if we recognised the new religions of sex and drink and shopping for what they are and tiptoed back to the churches," she told the conference on the nation's future. She went further in saying '..universal truths about charity and decency and how to live a good life, all of which are contained in the teachings of our major religions." She ended by saying our challenge was how to '....accept this newly secular society and inject it with a value system that takes from the best of that which we have jettisoned.'

In any other circumstances what she said would be unremarkable. However, it the context of her Office she should not have a position on secular society and its relationship with any church. She is supposed to mediate without fear or favour on the merits of a dispute without reference to her own beliefs.It is also disturbing that this 'moral' stance mirrors that of the evangelical right in the US.

If she continues down that slippery slope of being an advocate for church involvement in the secular society then she runs the risk of undermining the Office of the Ombudsman.

http://ombudsman.gov.ie/22b6_156.htm
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/7/O0070700.html
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1280642&issue_id=11638

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

"It would be good if we recognised the new religions of sex and drink and shopping for what they are and tiptoed back to the churches," she told the conference on the nation's future.

That is stupid. As if the only possible modes of existence were being a mindless consumer or a believer in religion. Presenting things in this way does nothing to help Irish people find a system of ethics suited to their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I don't see what the issue is. She was asked to attend a conference which recognises change and society’s interdependence on its environment: economic, social and natural.

So, she was discussing change in our social environment in a conference expressly about these things. So what?

To be honest, I think that I'd need to see her full speech to give any more of an opinion, because those comments very obviously need to be taken in context. (What can I say...I'm particularly suspicious of sensationalisation when I see that two of the three quotes aren't even complete sentences). Also, what exactly was she there to speak about, and in what capacity? Was she representing her office, or should I just assume that its unreasonable for anyone who holds an office to make a statement in public about anything that falls outside the remit of said office?

Sounds like a storm in a teacup to me.....but like I said...I'd need to know more before standing by that.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Somebody on the radio this morning suggested she is lining up to run for President in 7 years time.
    Seems plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 HFXOC

bonkey wrote:
    Was she representing her office, or should I just assume that its unreasonable for anyone who holds an office to make a statement in public about anything that falls outside the remit of said office?
    jc

Now you have have it - she is inextricably linked to her Office and as such cannot have a public opinion that falls outside her remit and that could compromise her impartiality.

Incidentally, a source close to her Office previously suggested to me to - if you excuse the parlance - get on Emily for the Park in 2011 if I could get a good price.

see my previous post of 26-03-2003, 15:49
    HFXOC wrote:
    Informed sources have indicated that Ms Emily O'Reilly, the Ombudsman in waiting, is treating this appointment as a likely stepping stone to the Aras in 2011. If successful Ms O'Reilly would continue the recent feminisation of the Park.

The good thing about this is that it would scupper Mary Harneys chances of ever getting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, in fairness...

if she's aiming at Aras, then her best bet is to be seen to have an opinion on issues outside the remit of her office, especially when they fall into the model of behaviour that seems to be held above all others every since Ms. Robinson took the Presidency.....which this seems to be doing.

On an aside....why is it that all of a sudden our Presidency seems to be an almost-exclusively female position...

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement