Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scary Hand? Omahaa ha haa!

Options
  • 05-11-2004 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Helloo

I'm kinda bored in work so, with the 25 PLO tourney starting on Tuesday, I thought I'd ask ye poker kings about a hand I had while back in the 50 Omaha/HE cash game. It was my first ever proper cash game too so I didn't know what to expect. I was scared!

I was BB with about €100. Someone in early position, who liked to raise it a bit, made it €5 to play. 4 callers when it came around to me. I had QsJc10cC8s and called.

Pot about 30

Flop: J 9 5c - one club

A pair and str8 draws. Maybe I should of bet but I was first to act and was not too confident. I checked. Check, check, checked around. Nice.

Turn: 8c

Now I had the nut str8, 2 pair and a flush draw. But then I remembered this was Omaha. I hadn't the nut flush draw and my str8 could be beaten by a higher one if the river brought a 10.

OK, I thought. You've got a good hand now, probably the best. Let's make a nice bet. I thought €25 seemed nice and meaty (green remember!) and I'd still have €75 left if the river looked nasty.

SB checked. I raised to €25. Pre flop raiser folded and then something awful happened (you can see it coming!). Somebody re-raised, somebody called. I went in to shock, when it came back around to me it was 75.
    "75 in total?" I asked. No, another 75, i.e. all in, as I was informed. Heart Rate 150 bpm and rising.

ONE HUNDRED friggin euros. I was way out of my depth, way in over my head. I wanted to cry and fold, or just cry, or just disappear into thin air.

OK, I thought. Think about what just happened here. I raised and was re-raised. What could he re-raise with?? J 9 5c 8c on the board. It had to be a premium flush draw, an AcKcQ10 at worst. Then he had one caller. What the hell could he have? Something similar?

So, there's a pot of about €255, and I can call for €75 or fold. I didn't rate my flush draw. J would be great. A 5 would be bad...

What should I have done??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Personnally I would have called but it depends on how much you want to risk all your stack in one hand. You have the nuts - albeit there are many outs for the other two callers but they still have to hit to beat you.

In hindsight you should of thought about raising all-in as you kind of gave the impression you were dawing as well. Wouldn't be surprised if you told me that one of them had top set.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Helloo

OK, I thought. Think about what just happened here. I raised and was re-raised. What could he re-raise with?? J 9 5c 8c on the board. It had to be a premium flush draw, an AcKcQ10 at worst. Then he had one caller. What the hell could he have? Something similar?

So, there's a pot of about €255, and I can call for €75 or fold. I didn't rate my flush draw. J would be great. A 5 would be bad...

What should I have done??

Call. There are only 10 cards that you really dont want to see on the river 3 10's & 7 Clubs. A 5 and you might lose as well, so thats 13 outs against you. There are 46 cards left in the deck (4 of your, 4 of the boards, and assume there is a flush draw out), so you will win more then 2/3 times, and to make this call you would only need to win 1/4 times.

Its very rare that you would fold the nuts on the turn, certainly not when your getting 3:1 on you call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I'd be all in so quick here my chips would set the felt alight! One of them may have the flush draw, but more likely one had Q10 also and the other had trips, eights perhaps. What was the outcome anyway? You've really got to be ramming and jamming the pot on the flop with your wrapper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

thanks for the advice!

well, it was PL so I thought I had made the max raise after the turn. I also thought 100 on a single hand was scary. The reason i thought of folding was because i thought i might have been tie with someone with a better draw and the fact that it was for all my chips which was 75 euros, more than I had ever played with on one hand in me life :)

Anyway, I knew I had the nuts at that time and was up against a flush draw. I had two of yer man's clubs, a J of clubs would be good. That left 6 clubs and 3 tens and 3 fives that could f**k me. If I folded I would have hated myself. I called

River brought a 5. I'm all in. Check, Check. I showed my str8, the re-raiser kinda mucked but kinda showed an Ac and something which presumably was a busted draw, the other player mucked. Yipeee :D

It was just for a scary amount of cash and I was sh**ing rocks. In future I'll do the same so.

Thanks again
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

a J of clubs would be good.

I would of been a bit concerned had the second J of clubs popped up.

Serioulsy though you showed good sense to be worried about being freerolled, worst case scenario somebody already had the straight AND the flush draw. But even in this case your still getting odds to call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

I would have bet the flop.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I went in to shock, when it came back around to me it was 75.
    "75 in total?" I asked. No, another 75, i.e. all in, as I was informed. Heart Rate 150 bpm and rising.

ONE HUNDRED friggin euros. I was way out of my depth, way in over my head. I wanted to cry and fold, or just cry, or just disappear into thin air.

uhhh, I dont mean to be mean but if thats how you were thinking then, like, what the hell are you doing in that game?! If you seriously thought about folding that hand then you need to NOT be at that table. 75 is nothing to most cash players, they'll put you all in every time if they think you are "scared money". If 75 is a lot to you then you are playing at the wrong level. in the 50/50 game I'll sit down with 100 euro with another 100 euro in my pocket and play tight so that when I do have to chuck it in I'll do it with the goods to back it. But I've no doubt that I'll either take down the pot with a raise or its all going in to a reraiser. That game can be rough, especially if the chinese are playing, lol!

I'm not ragging on you mate, I know how that feels but if you hadnt had the stone colds at that point you might well have put it down, yes?
    Does that mean if I put you all-in that you'll only call if you have the nuts at that point? Do you see where this line of reasoning is going? Can you give me an accurate physical description of yourself :):p

I seriously wouldnt play the 50/50 cash game without a tank of 1,000+ behind me. You can be up or down 2-300 a night easy on that table which means a bad run of nights can see you down a lot. Even just 3 nights in a row (hardly even a "bad run" in most cash players books) will leave you down 6-900.
    I'm still a total novice cash player but I've learned not to think of it even as "money" when asked for chips. Think of it as a 100-euro tournie where there is a time limit and the winner is the one with the most chips when the buzzer goes :)
    (oh yeah, there are unlimited buy ins too!)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

DeVore wrote:
    uhhh, I dont mean to be mean but if thats how you were thinking then, like, what the hell are you doing in that game?! .

well, like I said, it was my first time at such a game, and , as I admitted, I was way out of my league. With blinds at 1 euro i wasn't expecting 300 euro pots! Once I got over the initial shock, I did get a hold of myself and call - it was just scary at the time. Next time I'm there I'll be ready(er) for it.
    DeVore wrote:
    Does that mean if I put you all-in that you'll only call if you have the nuts at that point? Do you see where this line of reasoning is going? Can you give me an accurate physical description of yourself :):p.

No, if you put me all in I am likely to call with absolute rubbish. I suggest you try it :D I should be at the Omaha game tomorrow, so i'll see ya then! ;)

Thanks DeV for the advice, 50/50 cash games are I think a little bit out of my league, for now. I was happy I got my feet wet at least!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've seen pots of nigh on 1300 euro in that 50/50 game (I won €750 in a single hand recently!). Its not common but it can get like that. 100 euro pot is small change there. 300 is common enough to be honest!

I think Luke is starting a smaller cash game soon (25c/50c ) which will fit a lot more peoples pockets!

DeV.

Advertisement