Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Bike

Options
  • 05-11-2004 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Im 23yo, just wondering what bike can i get at this stage? havent been on a bike much, how do i get started on one?
    I dont want to get a moped!
    Ill prob have to give it a few years b4 i get my fav bike which is a R1 :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Here we go again....

Insurance will kill you.

Take a couple of lessons with ISM, before you go and buy your own bike. They'll get you started with the things you need to know. It's expensive, but worth it.

Then when you buy the bike, do some lessons with http://www.irishridertraining.com/

There's a common conception that riding a bike is cheap. It is. But not to start with. At your age, and just starting out, you'll have to pay for the bike, insurance (> €2k if you're in Dublin), and at least €350 worth of gear. Then the lessons on top of that.

You can skimp, but I wouldn't recommend it. Spending money won't save your life, but it'll do a hell of a lot to help prevent an accident, or serious injury in case of an accident.

As for bikes, go with a 125 or a 250 until you get a full licence. Two reasons: High-powered bikes are dangerous in the hands of learners, and your insurance will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I am also about to get my first bike,i have a gotten a few qoutes and they were not too bad,prov liscence and 24yrs old on a bandit 400 is 1380.

As you say riding a bike is a lot more expensive than people think,you also need a good jacket,gloves and helmet which will cost at least 500-600 euro.

Gary.

What ever bike you do get do not get an NSR 125,they might be cheap to buy but they are impossible to insure,insurance on one for me was the same as the bandit 400.

Advertisement