Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner Awards

• 05-11-2004 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

I know this is short notice, but i've been thinking that we should give a little prize for all beginner archers that get 400 on the 60cm targets and become advanced archers.

targetpin.jpg

Its just the target pin from the Altservices site, its only ~35euros for a pack of 100, so its very cheap (there has only been 105 advanced archers altogether in the previous 3 years). And i think its a good acknowledgement for beginners. I've got a few for the DCU intervarsity and will have more in time for the maynooth one. If noone objects.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

What about us who were thrown straight in as advanced, we didnt get the chance to get a shiny badge!!(i assume you've guessed i like shiny badges then... oh no my secrets out, the shame!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

They also come in keyring form, theyre kinda cool to hand out as small presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

i'll have pins for all previous advanced archers at the maynooth shoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

mmmmmm Shiny. Good work Aryzel. Good idea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bruce Arch

I strongly agree. Can't wait to get my hands on one at Maynooth.

• Advertisement

I got mine!! (thanks Mikhial!) its all shiny and cool! looks lovely on my quiver ;)

oh yeah almost forgot to ask, Bruce Arch.. who are ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bruce Arch

How I am? If I only knew :rolleyes:
    As I cannot dwell in my beloved UL forum anymore ('cause it's down since beginning of October or so), I am seeking asylum here for this urgent need to post things nobody really wants to read is driving me. Started archery in UL 3 years ago while on Erasmus, pretty much not having touched a bow since, I restarted a couple of weeks ago in UCD after returning to Ireland, adding an ashaming low score to the team score in the IV as the fifth archer.

I've got a question which is prolly aimed at Dermot 'cause he deals with the whole beginner/advanced thing.Iif a schools archer breaks 400 on a 60cm face at a school comp, when they shoot at IV's are they classed as beginner or advanced? I'm not gonna give a name but one of the guys I shot with in the schools section who broke 400 in a schools shoot shot in DCU as a beginner. I personally didn't really think that was fair 'cause he had lots more shooting and competition experience than the newbies who only started at the beginning of the year. I'm not trying to cause an arguement with the person involved or anything like that but I think it should be clarafied for future reference esp as some of the schools archers at the moment will (hopefully) be shooting in IV's next year.

As the old crusties here will know I was a schools archer - and at my first IV I shot advanced. I wanted to shoot beginner, becuase Im a medal whore, but Emmanuel(the then-head of UL Archery Club) basically told me to f*ck off and shoot Advanced. So I did, and won anyway. But thats a different story.

The problem is how do we verify it? Either we trust the newbies to declare if they have shot before, or poor old Dermot or someone else has to trawl through the schools results.

Regards

Ewan

You can usually rely on someone to rat them out either (not blaming you mhairesa). And I think there's a website too [checks - there is] which lists anyone who's shot in schools archery recently.
    Put it this way - in 5 minutes I found out who it was. That said, I have to agree with Renegade_Archer; we shouldn't have to vet everyone who wants to shoot IV archery, people should be honest enough to realise that they just don't belong in the beginner category.

Maybe there is room to come up with a rule to prevent people competing in the beginner category when they clearly aren't one. I have to confess, DIT were guilty of a similar offence last year when Garry Colton shot beginner. Although he hadn't shot in a few years. Its a bit of a grey area in that respect.

• Advertisement

I reckon at the captains' meeting at the NUIM IV we ask everyone to ensure that any skilled archers they take in shoot Advanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

That's probably the best way to do it, afterall how many clubs would bring someone to an IV who's never shot at the club training sessions, we'll just have to rely on the integrety of the captains though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

The same issue is going on at ucd atm. I'll say the same thing, we can 'strongly' suggest that anyone who didn't start in september and who can break 400(or so) on 40cm targets shoot advanced at their first intervarsites. there were a number of people who did so at dcu. Can you imagine if Fergal had shot as a beginner ;)

But i think its too much effort to enforce a rule about it, it must be left to club captains to check their members and get experienced archers shooting advanced. That said they might be experience but still be only around the 400-420 on the 60cm targets, in which case i see no problem letting them shoot as beginners. It think it will have to be a self enforced thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Aryzel wrote:
    That said they might be experience but still be only around the 400-420 on the 60cm targets, in which case i see no problem letting them shoot as beginners.
    Eg. A certain person now shooting for Athlone, 2+ years shooting and yet to get higher than 399 on beginners target. :p
    Come on you can do it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

mhairesa wrote:
    I'm not gonna give a name but one of the guys I shot with in the schools section who broke 400 in a schools shoot shot in DCU as a beginner.

Can you PM me the name please? I know of noone in the club who has owned up to shooting in schools to the club itself.

He must've not mentioned it to anyone in the club, unless my mind is really that far gone already.

I think you misunderstand what mhairesa said. The archer in question was shooting beginner at the DCU IV, but he is not a member of DCU archery club.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

trig wrote:
    I think you misunderstand what mhairesa said. The archer in question was shooting beginner at the DCU IV, but he is not a member of DCU archery club.

Aaah... That makes a lot more sense. Didn't think we had an ex-schools archer.

Advertisement