Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring an electric shower

Options
  • 05-11-2004 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

could you wire an electric shower off the immersion wiring
    or should it always be wired back to the fuse box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

never off the immersion,
    if its a pump shower like a triton t 90i , 6 sq T+E cable back to the board fed from a dedicated 40 Amp RCBO - many evenrequire 10sq T+E , or is might be a pump on a mixer shower, ie electricity is required to pump the water only as the heating system heated it, then a 2.5 sq mm t+E cable , even a 1.5 sq back to the board

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Depends on what you want, a shower or suicide? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

thanks for the answers and advice
    i had'nt quite realised how lethal the solution could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

sixtysix wrote:
    thanks for the answers and advice
    i had'nt quite realised how lethal the solution could be.

Stoners advice is correct electric showers draw an enormous current when in use and if you use the wrong spec cable there is a very real risk of fire or electrocution. It is also vital that the shower is wired to it's own RCD in the distribution board the RCD is your only real protection against being fried in the shower if something goes wrong. I would advise against you doing this if as I suspect you have only basic electrical experience. It's not an especially hard job to do but getting it wrong can have dire consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

If you need to ask a question like that, then you need to get an electrician to do the job.
    Very few second chances mixing water and electricity. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement