Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Larson

Options
  • 22-05-2000 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

The man is a genius. The Far Side books are fantastic and Ive read them loadsa times. I know there was another topic on books uve repeatadly read but I felt this deserved a topic of its own accord.

There are three kinds of people in this world.
    Guy 1 : This glass is half empty frown.gif
    Guy 2 : This glass is half full smile.gif
    Guy 3 : Hey I ordered a Cheeseburger! mad.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"The elephant in the darkened alley with a hunting rifle, seeking revenge".

Why do all the best cartoonists retire frown.gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

has he retired? the best is:
    "If a tree falls in the woods, and it hits a mime, does anyone care?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I loved the cat plastered against the window, with two vans crashed outside, one being 'Ed's Rodents', the other 'Al's Small, Flightless Birds' smile.gif

lets face it tho, he lost it in the last couple of years before he retired, last couple of desk calendars, compilations etc. i saw where pretty poor by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

my favourite one's are

1/ the penguin (sry) who has just slipped on a banana skin on ice

2/ the many moods of an irish setter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any of these on the web somewhere?

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

If a tree falls in the woods, and it hits a mime, does anyone care

wasnt that a terry pratchett joke?

and i have most of larsons books.
    still laugh my ass of.
    being a smoker, i like the 'why dinosaurs really died out' picture of them all smoking like teenagers behind the bike shed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

trojan:
    gary larson made a big deal a couple of months ago about ppl not posting his cartoons "his childrem" (his words) on the web. all the sites that did have some have had to take the pics down

MiCr0

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yeah, I have one of those desktop calenders for the second year now, funny stuff to get you off to a good start or end or whenever you read them during the day or week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i quoted it wrong :
    "If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is around to hear it, and it hits a mime, does anyone care?"
    i never saw it in pratchett, but he probably used it too, its such a good one smile.gif

That dinosaurs one was a classic too.
    Theres also the one where a guy is in a restaurant full of hens and pigs and orders Bacon and Eggs. The expressions.... too funny.
    And the horse parliament, oh god.....

But what is funnier, Terry Pratchet or Gary Larson?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Larson biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

this site has a link to loads of sites with different pics
    http://hometown.aol.com/Thomas2002/farside.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmm... here's the text:
    A NOTE FROM GARY LARSON

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here. On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: ''It's like having someone else write in your diary, he said. And how true that statement rang with me . In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective. To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.)

But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience. So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet.

These cartoons are my ''children,'' of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am. I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request. Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BugMe

that's too bad ^ I really wish he'd post a gallery then.
    I loved the cat plastered against the window, with two vans crashed outside, one being 'Ed's Rodents', the other 'Al's Small, Flightless Birds'...
    me, too

(I realize this thread is very old, but it came up in a google search for that rodent/bird comic)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Odd, I was going to post a thread about Gary Larson today. Didn't one of his cartoons feature Mohammed? Something about the mountain coming to the front door, and there was a picture of Mohammed? Where does that fit into the current controversy?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

28064212 wrote:
    Odd, I was going to post a thread about Gary Larson today. Didn't one of his cartoons feature Mohammed? Something about the mountain coming to the front door, and there was a picture of Mohammed? Where does that fit into the
    Yep, I remember that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Mohmammad sitting in his house, reading a paper with a mountain pushed up against his doorbell? Nope. Don't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

There are just too much to pick a favourite. Sometimes I have laughed for about two days just thinking about one cartoon. What a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

The man's a genius! I have a few of his books knocking around, I still love reading them.
    My favourite is the one with the caption "God at his computer" and it depicts God sitting at his PC with an image on his monitor of a man with a plank of wood secured by some flimsy rope dangling over his head and God's finger is hovering over a button marked "Smite" on his keyboard. Classic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

This Thread Was 6 Years Old.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

sinecurea wrote:
    This Thread Was 6 Years Old.
    Just what i was thinking, I think it deserves an award or something for oldest resurrected thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Full_Throttle

Re-revived.

My favorite must have been the one with the two explorers in a pyramid, finding little sacrcophagii inside of each other, like those wooden Russian dolls.

"What? Another little sarcohpagus?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

happy birthday Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My favourite is "Inconvenience Store".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

The duck saying to the other duck, 'be honest, do you think I'm sinking?'.

Or the many moods of the red setter.

Or the boneless chicken farm!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

UB wrote:
    The duck saying to the other duck, 'be honest, do you think I'm sinking?'.

excellent :D

Advertisement