Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Forum Charter and Resources

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Crap! I never knew that was you. Oh ****.
    No hard feelings

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i thought this thread would be a good idea because of the parallel bickering in the last one over who was/wasn't in the su. it made the threads hard to read and the discussion hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Just to be sure we're on the right track, which thread?

Just as logical a solution to putting a yellow star on peoples arms is nobodys allowd to ask the question. Respect someones privacy. Its a fundamental human right.

The answer to the question has no benifit to the discussion.

Pretending to have no affiliation is dishonest, however failing to disclose it is not. Its privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

How will it make the discussion better?

Seriously? In a thread about the SU president, people who know and work with him claiming to know nothing about the union, thats dishonest. But to say that in order to comment on the union, you cant be involved in it, and that is whats at stake here is BS.

It will be used as an excuse to dismiss someones points. How is it relevent?

I don't think there's any suggestion that a member of the union would not be allowed to comment on a union matter, just for the sake of clarity they are being asked to state their affiliations. Its nothing to be ashamed of or kept hidden and they aren't gonna be condemed or dismissed as a result IMHO.

You aren't a member of dramasoc are you now Kaptain Redeye? If younot you should think about it as you've got a great knack for acting up and being a drama queen.
    State your affliation and get over it. It is to stop any hidden agenda or any perceived hidden agenda. To compare it to being branded like a jew is pretty pathetic and down right insulting.

Jesus, for the auditor of Dutchsoc you're pretty fúcking uptight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Current Education Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

panda100 wrote:
    I always had my suspicions:D
    Can u imagine if sange WAS persident-he's probably ban all 'ugly' girls from campus and would get rid off all degress that are under 500 points!!:D

id say he'd get elected, damn id vote for him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sangre wrote:
    It is to stop any hidden agenda or any perceived hidden agenda.

What he said.

Nobody is being restricted from posting at all and No one's points will be made invalid because they are a member of the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just to be sure we're on the right track, which thread?

Just as logical a solution to putting a yellow star on peoples arms is nobodys allowd to ask the question. Respect someones privacy. Its a fundamental human right.

Just to clarify, you're comparing asking those involved with the Student Union to be honest about that...to the treatment of the Jews under the Nazis?

Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

For once, god forbid, I'm in agreement with MNG!

Wtf, KaptainRedeye. If you're in the SU Council why would you lie anyway?

Sounds pretty fcuking underhand and sly to me, no wonder everybody's so disillusioned with politicians...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SebtheBum wrote:

It was bound to happen sooner or later. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

SebtheBum wrote:

Wtf, KaptainRedeye. If you're in the SU Council why would you lie anyway?

Sounds pretty fcuking underhand and sly to me, no wonder everybody's so disillusioned with politicians...

ya its finally happened MNG has a point!!!

SebtheBum wrote:

I think you'll find you're in agreement with me...
    That MNG doesn't have an orginial thought in his head

humbert wrote:
    Its nothing to be ashamed of or kept hidden
    Neither is being a jew, gay, black or any other reason ppl get persecuted for. But lots of ppl hold unexplained or unjustified biases.
    and they aren't gonna be condemed or dismissed as a result IMHO.
    You might not condemn or dismiss anyone, but take a stroll over to the politics board. A few months ago (last time I read the board) any posters who admit to voting SF or being members had ALL their posts on ANY subject dismissed out of hand and threads inevitable end up about a discussion of the IRA.
    sangre wrote:
    You aren't a member of dramasoc are you now Kaptain Redeye? If younot you should think about it as you've got a great knack for acting up and being a drama queen.
    State your affliation and get over it. It is to stop any hidden agenda or any perceived hidden agenda. To compare it to being branded like a jew is pretty pathetic and down right insulting.

Jesus, for the auditor of Dutchsoc you're pretty fúcking uptight.

Well if you didnt take offence to the term "like a common jew" then there would be something wrong with your sense of decency.
    And you've hit the nail on the head there, "any perceived hidden agenda".
    Some posters will simply say, well you would say that, you're a member of the SU council.
    peachy wrote:
    Nobody is being restricted from posting at all and No one's points will be made invalid because they are a member of the union.
    Pythia was ready to use it as a rebuttal. Can you honestly say that no one will perveive a hidden agenda because a poster is involved in the union? Are you going to take on the mantel of thought police as well?
    MNG wrote:
    Just to clarify, you're comparing asking those involved with the Student Union to be honest about that...to the treatment of the Jews under the Nazis?

Are you for real?
    No, I just watch all of southpark season 8&9 back to back and love eric cartman. Does the phrase "like a common jew" sound plausable to you? [edit]And I wouldnt invoke goodwins law now would I? :)[/edit].

I can see the need for sab. officer or volunteer officers to declare their involvement since its at such a high level, but I still cant see the need or benifit for everyone else to declare their affiliation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Pythia was ready to use it as a rebuttal. Can you honestly say that no one will perveive a hidden agenda because a poster is involved in the union? Are you going to take on the mantel of thought police as well?

No I wasn't. I was just interested to see if you had involvement in the SU seeing as you seemed to have strong views on it.

What did it matter though? How would it have changed things. Context is important in a lot of things, but explain to me how you would react to A)Yes and B)No

And if your answer is the same for both then what use has the info, hence why I dont believe the question should be asked or answered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

What did it matter though? How would it have changed things. Context is important in a lot of things, but explain to me how you would react to A)Yes and B)No

It matters because I think if you are associated with the SU, you should declare it, as the rules on this forum dictate.

Pythia, if someone convinces me of the point, Ill post it. I think that you cant admit why you needed to know proves my suspicions about why ppl want the info.

Devore wrote:
    we have a policy of full disclosure. ie: if you are involved in something that materially affects the discussion you should declare that. Its on the honour-system

Kaptain Redeye of you don't want to post it up then don't.

Nobodies arguments are going to be dismissed if they are connected with the Union. I think that most people would just prefer to know where everyone is coming from, whether they are staunchly defending the Union, or vehemently attacking it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Occasionally a member of the SU 'party' but no political affilliations whatsoever.
    Would've voted for Panda100 as SU Welfare Officer though.

I also like kk was a member of the SU 'party' but alas no longer.
    Was running for welfare officer this year (a week is a long time in politics!) but have know withdrawn my nomination.Have no official role as such in the union except at the moment my unnofficial role is an easy target for the lefts of UCD to take the p*ss out off. Though I have a lot of friends in the union who I like and admire a lot so I suppose I would be biased in a union debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I'm on the committee of 2 clubs and one society.
    I was a class rep 3 years ago.

Devore wrote:
    we have a policy of full disclosure. ie: if you are involved in something that materially affects the discussion you should declare that. Its on the honour-system

Kaptain Redeye of you don't want to post it up then don't.

Nobodies arguments are going to be dismissed if they are connected with the Union. I think that most people would just prefer to know where everyone is coming from, whether they are staunchly defending the Union, or vehemently attacking it.
    Being a sabbatical officer material effects the discussion. Being a class rep doesnt.

Will anyones posts be dismissed, you cant honestly say, nobody can but why Pythia wanted to know will be the be-all and end-all of my arguement. I want to know what difference it would have made to her, on that thread, when she asked. Then I will either stand by my position or change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Whatever your affiliation was or is wouldnt have made much(any) difference to me, or most other people.

But the fact that you keep coming back tit for tat and refusing to simply say what the hell your affiliation is leads me to certain conclusions.

Being a sabbatical officer material effects the discussion. Being a class rep doesnt.

Will anyones posts be dismissed, you cant honestly say, nobody can but why Pythia wanted to know will be the be-all and end-all of my arguement. I want to know what difference it would have made to her, on that thread, when she asked. Then I will either stand by my position or change it.

Being a class rep will give someone more info into the workings of the Union. Something many students don't have. Therefore class reps, if arguing for or against the union, may be asked how they know such-and-such or to prove a point they made on an internal student issue. Therefore they would have to make their connection known. This thread is just making things a bit easier so everyone can get it out of the way and there is no confusion.

**sigh**

to be honest..... at this stage i really don't care if you do or not. As fuzzy just pointed out, by making such a big deal out of this you are leading people to certain conclusions. Thats fine by me.

This thread was started because at this time of year the debates on the SU get very heated usually and of course there are more of them. I want there to be transparency in all debates.

**edit** I just spotted this on the Feedback forum
    Not that its in any way relevant to this thread, but over on the UCD forum theres a thread in which everyone in the SU must post and be branded. Im not in or involved with the SU, and nobody in the SU so far has had a problem with posting in the thread, but Im objecting to it.

I used to post in politics defending SF/IRA

It might seem I just a cranky asshole who finds fault with everything, or only happy when Im arguing but if a thread or debate is balanced I give my own opinion if interested or avoid it. Its only if the thread is completely one sided Ill pick the unprepresented side. I guess I just like being the lone voice of dissent

Nobody is being branded! If you are so for a balanced and fair argument then why is it unreasonable for people to inform others of their association with the issue in hand, thereby making things clearer. I honestly do not think that if a Union officer posts in defence of the union that everyone here will automatically dismiss their post. I think you are giving the majority of posters here a lot less credit than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sorry about this were Sangre and Vainglory joking or are they really who they say they are? Some subsequent posts make me wonder and id like to know.

PS Is enda duffy on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Vainglory, I can assure you, is in fact JHJ the Ed Officer. As for sangre... Jimmy, is that really you in there? *knocks on monitor*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Yes I am the Education Officer. What posts made you think I wasn't?

Enda doesn't post on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Vainglory wrote:
    Yes I am the Education Officer. What posts made you think I wasn't?

Enda doesn't post on these boards.

Sorry the posts i was referring to were about Sangre. You just didn't strike me as the type to be on boards and i wasn't sure if you were joking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If sangre really is james caroll,then I'm the easter rabbit...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement